General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Original Style Passenger Mirror 1970 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2012 | 06:57 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Original Style Passenger Mirror 1970 Cutlass

Hey Guys: I have a chrome driver's side remote mirror on my Cutlass, see attached photo. In looking at the 1970 owners manual I see an image of the mirror (see second photo) that seems to match mine.

I would like to get a passenger's mirror, but I cannot find one that matches the driver's one I have aywhere.

The thing is I have never seen one of these on any other car, so I wonder if it is in fact the original mirror for the car.
Any ideas on this?

Thanks, Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
windshield.jpg (92.1 KB, 40 views)
Old January 20th, 2012 | 07:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by pcard
Hey Guys: I have a chrome driver's side remote mirror on my Cutlass, see attached photo. In looking at the 1970 owners manual I see an image of the mirror (see second photo) that seems to match mine.

I would like to get a passenger's mirror, but I cannot find one that matches the driver's one I have aywhere.

The thing is I have never seen one of these on any other car, so I wonder if it is in fact the original mirror for the car.
Any ideas on this?

Thanks, Peter
Peter, the mirror you have is in fact an OEM style that was an option in 70-72. And yes it's a nice mirror. Had one on my first 72.

Now as far as getting one for the passenger side? Sorry, you're out of luck. The chrome one for the passenger side was not remote so it doesn't have the deep dish like the drivers side. Also in the 60's and early 70's it was 'uncommon' to have a right hand mirror. The ones the factory made were options and were fairly basic. You can get the repro chrome mirror for your car from most aftermarket suppliers.

PS the only mirrors that came with 'both' sides was the sport mirrors. If your car had come with them in 70? They are rare since they were a 1 year only item. They had a special pod design.
Old January 20th, 2012 | 08:05 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Hey Allan - thanks for the quick reply. My buildsheet confirms that the car was not ordered with the sport mirrors.
I really need the second mirror (bad back), so I guess I will have to get the one that does not match, or go with the repro sporty ones(I hate to leave the original one off).

Thanks again, Peter
Old January 20th, 2012 | 08:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by pcard
Hey Allan - thanks for the quick reply. My buildsheet confirms that the car was not ordered with the sport mirrors.
I really need the second mirror (bad back), so I guess I will have to get the one that does not match, or go with the repro sporty ones(I hate to leave the original one off).

Thanks again, Peter
Peter, the repro ones are good copies of the OEM parts. They have the same shape etc as the drivers, only much shallower. If you look at the Fusick catalogue it's item

SM7050R on page 21
1970-72 Right Mirror. 64.50
You can't get repro sport mirrors for the 70 from anyone, even if they're advertised that way. From GM they were option D35 Sports Styled Outside Rearview Mirrors

They had a distinctive horizontal line across the middle of the pod like this:

Old January 21st, 2012 | 04:16 AM

The right side NOS mirrors do exist.

I sold the one I had.
Old January 21st, 2012 | 07:01 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Thanks Allan: I guess that makes my decision for me. Are the Fusik's so much better than the OPG ones (part CTL9068 page 101 $49.95)?