General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Hard-to-remove Lifters

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2018, 03:12 PM
Oldscarnut

Hard-to-remove Lifters

I had 13 of 16 lifters removed with no difficulty, but 3 have decided they want to remain in the block, 2 of them on the same cylinder. I know better than to apply hard pressure, and I would like to get them out without turning the engine upside down and removing the cam etc. Does anyone have a method for getting them out (ie heat etc)? I have a lifter tool which does not provide much leverage, and in the ones that came out a few needed to be turned/screwed out but they came out with little effort. I am still trying to assess whether it needs to be honed and/or bored, or if the cylinders are round, the mains are good, so the less I disassemble, the happier my bank account is.
Old October 19th, 2018, 07:36 PM

Take a good long look at the cam, make sure you don’t have lobes starting to go flat. Only reason I can think that lifters would refuse to come out is either varnish on the bottom of the lifters ( carb cleaner would dissolve that) or the bottom of the litter is starting to mushroom. Why are you replacing lifters without cam removal?
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:31 PM
Oldscarnut

I am not replacing them yet just trying to get them out so I can assess the work and machining that is coming up. So far I have not put the engine on a stand. Both new cam and lifters are in the plan, but I am hoping the bearings and cylinders are in good enough shape not to need anything. The numbers were good when I checked it. Without the engine stand I can't easily drain the oil and get the timing chain etc without dropping the pan. Trying not to make a mess. I know I can push them through without the cam so if I can't get them now I will get them later.Just seems odd that cylinder 2 has two of the critters. Thank for the work around. I will give it another try tomorrow. Been soaking them in Sea Foam for weeks and nothing changed. When I get ahold of a hoist, it will go onto a stand, which I also don't have yet.

Last edited by Chuck Cole; October 19th, 2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Old October 20th, 2018, 03:21 AM

If you are going to remove the cam, pull the lifter(s) up and tie wrap the top of it so it won't drop. Remove the cam and slide in cardboard (tubular cut lengthwise works great) through the cam bearings. Remove the tie wraps one at a time and lower the lifter onto the cardboard tube and slide it out or go in and get it with a retrieval tool.
Good luck!
Old October 20th, 2018, 06:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

I just use a lifter removal tool. Usually the problem is due to varnish buildup more that mushrooming of the lifters. I've had one of these KD tools since the 1970s.

Old October 20th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Olds Fever

X2 on the slide hammer lifter tool from KD... Has never failed me yet...
Old October 20th, 2018, 04:22 PM

The slide hammer tool will get them out BUT ..... if it does have a wiped cam and the bottoms of the lifters are starting to mushroom you can damage the lifter bores. Soak them with carb cleaner or penetrating oil and try again in a day or so.