General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

General questions

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2018, 08:33 PM

General questions

Im kind of new to the Oldsmobile game so I have a few (probably dumb) questions. Let’s start by saying I have own an 84 Delta 88 Royale Brougham, With the rocket 307. Number 1. Once the high beams went, I can’t figure how to turn them off again. Number 2. How much work is it to change the cam gear. Number 3. Is there anything I should know before daily driving the car.
Old September 14th, 2018, 08:33 PM

Any help at all would be much appreciated
Old September 15th, 2018, 06:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. I don't know what you mean by the high beams "went", but you turn them off and on by pulling on the turn signal lever. If that doesn't click and work, that switch is probably bad. You need to disassemble the steering column to replace it. The timing chain and cam gear replacement requires disassembly of the front of the motor, along with some specialized tools (harmonic balancer puller and installer and a flywheel holder). There are also some tricks to getting the front cover back in place with the oil pan on. How long has the car sit? If it's been any length of time, I'd suggest replacing all the rubber parts in the brake system (hoses and seals).
Old September 15th, 2018, 07:39 PM

Well when I bought the car I made sure the lights worked and I tryed the high beams and ever since they haven’t turned off. Other than actually turning the lights off themselves. It’s either high beams or off.
Old September 16th, 2018, 06:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

There are two possible causes of this. First is that the dimmer switch has gone bad. The second is that the rod that actuates the dimmer switch has popped out of place. That is unlikely, but it actually happened to me on a GM steering column. As I mentioned above, either of these requires disassembly of the steering column.
Old September 16th, 2018, 07:31 AM

Before I’m forced to do that what actually lever or button actually turns on the high beams. Because the blinker lever only does cruise and wipers. But I can say that there’s a blue switch behind the shifter and under the gauges.
Old September 16th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RoyaleBrougham88
Before I’m forced to do that what actually lever or button actually turns on the high beams. Because the blinker lever only does cruise and wipers. But I can say that there’s a blue switch behind the shifter and under the gauges.
On a 1984 Delta, you pull the turn signal lever to turn on the high beams, then you pull it again to turn them off. There is a rod that runs from the inboard end of the lever down the steering column to the dimmer switch. The switch is a push on/push off type of switch.
Old September 16th, 2018, 07:38 AM

Oh ok I see. Thanks. But now does anyone know what the blue switch under the gauges is?
Old September 16th, 2018, 07:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Oh ok I see. Thanks. But now does anyone know what the blue switch under the gauges is?

How about some photos. The mind reading still isn't working. I don't know what you mean by "under the gauges". Are you talking about the ignition switch on the top of the steering column down towards the floor?
Old September 16th, 2018, 07:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Post a picture

EDIT: Hahahaha, looks like we posted the same thing. Only I was still reading when you did it Joe.
Old September 16th, 2018, 07:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Your dash should look like this, and the high beam indicator would be blue - located above the 70 km/hr on this dash.

Old September 16th, 2018, 08:03 AM

Here’s the switch and the blinker *** does do the trick lol. This switch doesn’t look aftermarket but I don’t have a clue.

P.s. the pictures upsidown I guess
Attached Images
Old September 16th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Here’s the switch and the blinker *** does do the trick lol. This switch doesn’t look aftermarket but I don’t have a clue.

P.s. the pictures upsidown I guess
"Doesn't look aftermarket"??? Have you ever seen anything like that in any GM car ever made? That's a cheap Pep-Boys switch. It is NOT factory. There is no way for the rest of us to know what this does - you'll have to ask the previous owner who installed it.
Old September 16th, 2018, 08:21 AM

Sorry we don’t pep boys up here. But I now know what it’s for.
Old September 16th, 2018, 08:41 AM

Is it the high beam toggle?
Old September 16th, 2018, 11:47 AM

No I’m guessing it used to be for the stereo.
Old September 16th, 2018, 06:40 PM

You can access the dimmer switch without steering column disassembly. If you remove the dash trip plate under the steering column, and then remove the 2 15mm nuts that hold the column to the dash mounting brace you can drop the column enough to see the dimmer switch. Once you find the switch, hopefully you will be able to see the rod that is suppose to push the switch plunger in. When you pull the turn signal lever forward, you should see the rod push the switch plunger. If it does in fact move, either the switch is defective or the switch is out of adjustment. There are 2 small screws tuqt hold the switch in place, tue screw holes are enlongated to allow adjustment. Loosen the screws and move the switch towards the top of the column. Hopefully that will fix your issue.

If the rod doesn’t move, or there is no tension on the turn signal lever, then something has most likely broken inside the column. You will need some special tools and a service manual (and lots of patience!) to repair it. You will need a steering wheel pulled, lock plate depressor, and pivot pin puller. I’m pretty sure you can rent those tools from Aitozone or advance auto.
Old September 16th, 2018, 08:40 PM

Um, the lights work but thanks I guess?
Old September 17th, 2018, 05:51 PM

Um, the lights work but thanks I guess?

you said you cant turn off the high beam, I’m explaining how to determine if the dimmer switch is the issue or the linkage that works the switch.
Old September 17th, 2018, 06:11 PM

No I mean the lights work, like on and off hogh beam and low beam, the switch works
Old September 18th, 2018, 06:43 PM

Im kind of new to the Oldsmobile game so I have a few (probably dumb) questions. Let’s start by saying I have own an 84 Delta 88 Royale Brougham, With the rocket 307. Number 1. Once the high beams went, I can’t figure how to turn them off again. Number 2. How much work is it to change the cam gear. Number 3. Is there anything I should know before daily driving the car.
you said once the high beams quit, you can’t figure how to turn them off again? So by pulling the turn signal lever towards you, you can cycle between low and high beam?
Old September 18th, 2018, 06:54 PM

Yes, that was my original question but it’s answered now
Old September 19th, 2018, 03:59 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

To the next questions; There is no rocket science with these engines, they really differ much from other American V8 iron. To access the timing sprockets you need to remove the timing cover and anything else in the way,you might need to pull the oil pan, although if you know what you are up to this shouldn't be necessary.
Before putting it into daily use change all the fluids and filters, check out the brakes thoroughly, and have a good look at the tires, paying particular attention to the date codes. Not forgetting the obvious like making sure the lights work properly, the exhaust isn't leaking, the seat belts are ok etc.
No different to any other old car really.

Might be a good idea to find out what the aftermarket switch is for....

Roger.
Old September 19th, 2018, 04:40 AM

Hm seems like to much work for a wanna be mechanic �� and yeah I planned on doing all that good stuff