General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

371 Engine Ticking

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2018, 08:59 PM

371 Engine Ticking

Hello All, I was interested in anyone's thoughts on what could be the cause of the ticking noise in my 371 motor, The engine has just turned over 100,000 miles.I changed the oil about 8 to 9 months ago and just recently the motor has started to make quite a loud noise like a tappet etc, Its fine when i start and drive the car for about ten minutes then it will start to get loud, it's like a really loud ticking, not a bang or clunking noise. .If i keep driving after 2 or 3 miles the noise will slowly go away? Its done this to me twice in the last couple of months, Was just wondering if anybody had any thoughts as to what it may be and to what i should look out for, Many Thanks In advance for any replies, All the best, Ray.
Old March 12th, 2018, 09:30 PM

First off how many miles have you put on the car in that 8 or 9 months ? If it is a lifter (pretty common) a oil and filter change may clear it up. A shot of Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil wouldn't be a bad idea ether. I would do that first before I started pulling the valley cover and intake and such off the engine. That may be the cheapest and most common fix. Once I switched to Rotella 15- 40 my lifter problems have disappeared, I feel the high detergent factor and frequent oil changes has helped eliminate that issue in my car.

With 100,000 miles how is the oil pressure cold and after a warm up? Is there a big difference from cold to warm at idle?.... Tedd
Old March 12th, 2018, 10:15 PM

What weight oil is being used? Could be oil pressure a little low as the engine warms and the oil thins. Does the oil smell and look ok? Does the noise begin at idle or while at cruising?
Good luck!!!
Old March 15th, 2018, 05:47 PM

Hello Tedd and Sugar Bear, Thanks for your replies, I have talked to the Guys here at Penrite Oils, They have recommended 20w/60 Classic lite. They tell me that is a very popular oil for classic car buffs, Ill keep you posted as to the issue with the tappets and will post some pics of the car, Once again , many thanks for your input, Ray, Brisbane.
Old March 16th, 2018, 07:40 AM

You oil guy probably knows a lot more about his oil than I do but 20-60 seems pretty heavy. I would have concerns about the use of that thick of oil on cold startups. Then again 100,000 miles is quire a lot for a 60+ year old car it could have major clearances every where. Your call... Tedd
Old March 16th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Hookers under Hood

I agree with Tedd, 20-60 is heavy, I would have an oil pressure gauge in the car myself just in case the engine hasn't loosened up to handle the worst case 60 viscosity.
Also as Tedd mentioned..If its a lifter tick, it may clear up after a couple oil changes.
I think it stays warm down in Australia does it Ray ?
I hope you have good luck with the oil.
Old March 16th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Administrator

I don't know if this is available over there, maybe an equivalent. You may try a thinner oil.