General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1970 Heat Shroud mounting ?????

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2018, 07:31 AM

1970 Heat Shroud mounting ?????

Is there suppose to be a threaded bolt when I attach shroud? Because the head bolt does not sit plush when tightened . Thank you
Attached Images
Old February 19th, 2018, 08:17 AM

I believe that the threaded stud (to the right of where the shroud is attached) should be in the center position on the head. You would use a nut to hold your shroud to the center bolt/threaded stud. See photo. Also, I believe that your valve cover orientation might be incorrect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
455 engine with shroud.jpg (3.11 MB, 32 views)

Last edited by Oldsmomick; February 19th, 2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Additon to text
Old February 19th, 2018, 08:57 AM

>You need an additional bolt/stud at that center head bolt position and it gets torqued down WITHOUT the heat shroud in place. THEN, install the heat shroud over the stud portion of the bolt and add a flat washer and nut to hold the heat shroud in place on the stud.

>LEAVE the bolt/stud IN PLACE that you are pointing to in the second picture (second head bolt hole).....you use that stud to hold one part of one of the AC compressor brackets.

>And YES, as mentioned above by "Oldsmomick", if the two pics are of your motor it looks like you have the valve covers on wrong. The valve cover in your second pic (with the short "notch") goes on the D side of the motor and the notch will be at the back of the motor. The valve cover with the long "notch" should be on the Passenger side and the notch will end up at the back of the motor as well.

>On the Driver's side cylinder head.....you should have a stud in the second hole....it holds part of the rear alternator bracket (AC cars).

I would try to find GOOD ORIGINAL stud/bolt(s) - one guy on here recently had a set of repros and they would not torque to the factory specs.....probably too soft of a metal.

Last edited by 70Post; February 19th, 2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old February 19th, 2018, 09:55 AM

Thanks Oldsmomick and 70Post very helpful . Yes I do have AC . Sounds like I need a original bolt/stud and I need to swap my valve covers ? Appreciate the help thank you so much .

If anyone has a bolt/stud bolt for sale I would like purchase .

Have a great rest of day ClassicOldsmobile family
Old February 19th, 2018, 11:36 AM

PM sent
Old February 19th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by huskalade
I need to swap my valve covers ?
Notches are to provide clearance to the brake booster and HVAC box and go towards the back.