General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Dual Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2018, 05:13 AM

Dual Exhaust?

Hi Guys,
I was wondering if there was a Dual Exhaust System available for the '52 Super 88.

Mine has just a Single Exhaust and I wanted to convert it to Dual.
To find the best way to do it (especially on the left side where also the steering is) I'm always looking at all Pictures of Oldsmobile undersides I can find.
Now I found some some Pictures of the bottom of a '52 88 with Dual Exhaust and it Looks to me like there are some prepared holes in the Frame where the exhaust could be. (Pictures attached)

Can you tell me if this is stock and maybe where I can get a Dual Exhaust for it?

thank you in advance and best regards from Germany,
Kai
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
s-l1601.jpg (233.1 KB, 23 views)
s-l1600.jpg (253.9 KB, 15 views)
s-l1600IW6CD11V.jpg (216.2 KB, 18 views)
Old February 15th, 2018, 05:18 AM

Are there any local shops that do "custom" exhaust work? That is where i would start.
Old February 15th, 2018, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by 61Bat
Are there any local shops that do "custom" exhaust work? That is where i would start.

not as far as I know...
Also I'm a mechanic (but not working as one) and could do it myself. But I first want to check every possibility.
Old February 15th, 2018, 05:27 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You have to cut the holes in the X member. The factory didn't do that until 1956. Waldron Exhaust can make the pipes for you. I used them on my 54. I am very satisfied.n
Old February 15th, 2018, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
You have to cut the holes in the X member. The factory didn't do that until 1956. Waldron Exhaust can make the pipes for you. I used them on my 54. I am very satisfied.n

doesn't cutting the X member reduce the stability of it?
Old February 15th, 2018, 06:31 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Not really. Consider the one on the right side was cut from the factory.
Old February 15th, 2018, 07:14 AM

I converted a '52 super 88 to duals probably 40 years ago. The frame definitely needs to be opened to make it right. I had a parts car and used the front pipe from that car to make a left pipe to go forward and then back around the steering. The single exaust side can be capped and used as it is. You may be much better off having both new sides bent to do away with the problem of the new side having a restriction of the frame and gas tank for the outlet. Move both pipes further outboard. You must realize that I had much more time than sense when I did this!
Old February 15th, 2018, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by bonger
I converted a '52 super 88 to duals probably 40 years ago. The frame definitely needs to be opened to make it right. I had a parts car and used the front pipe from that car to make a left pipe to go forward and then back around the steering. The single exaust side can be capped and used as it is. You may be much better off having both new sides bent to do away with the problem of the new side having a restriction of the frame and gas tank for the outlet. Move both pipes further outboard. You must realize that I had much more time than sense when I did this!
thank you very much.
I figured the steering could be a problem...
since I have no own shop and only a small garage I have to go to a befriended workshop to do this, so I want to be most efficient as I can be

Is there a chance you got any pictures of your conversion?
Old February 16th, 2018, 05:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

My 54 has power steering and the left side exhaust pipe makes some unusual bends but it fits.
Old February 16th, 2018, 06:19 AM

@redoldsman

I just looked up the Waldron page and they offer a dual exhaust conversion for 1949-1955 Oldsmobiles.
Are you happy with your exhaust from them?
Old February 16th, 2018, 07:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am very happy with Waldron. You can get it without mufflers if you like which is what I did. I think they will make you just the left side pipes and furnish a blockoff for the right side where the crossover goes in the manifold. I bought both sides. They do not have them is stock and it takes a few weeks for them to make them up. I had them put on by the muffler shop and they were very impressed that they fit. It should be pretty easy on your car since it does not have power steering.
Old February 16th, 2018, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I am very happy with Waldron. You can get it without mufflers if you like which is what I did. I think they will make you just the left side pipes and furnish a blockoff for the right side where the crossover goes in the manifold. I bought both sides. They do not have them is stock and it takes a few weeks for them to make them up. I had them put on by the muffler shop and they were very impressed that they fit. It should be pretty easy on your car since it does not have power steering.
is it very loud without mufflers?
I think I would purchase everything new because mine is dual in the back so I already had to weld or customize it...
would be easier to get everything new
Old February 16th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

When I said you could get it without mufflers that meant you could do that if you wanted to select your own mufflers. I used Smitty's Glasspacks on my car. Smitty's have been around forever (I think since the 20's). They are glasspack mufflers that were popular back in the day and give a nice mellow nostalgic sound. They come in different lengths and the long ones are quieter. I used 30 inch ones and love the way the car sounds. A lot companies carry them and I bought mine from Speedway Motors.
Old February 16th, 2018, 08:47 AM

Ah okay.
thank you very much for your answers.
that was a lot help!

I‘ll get a quote from Waldron and hope they’ll ship to Germany.