General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1970 Ingition lock function tilt floor shift

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2017, 07:45 PM
70 Cutlass SX

1970 Ingition lock function tilt floor shift

Hello all: I am having a bit of a problem with my ignition lock, at least I think I am.

1970 Cutlass, tilt column, floor shift.

Consistent behavior: with key inserted and ignition turned to RUN, I am able to move the gear selector to NEUTRAL. However, once there I cannot move the ignition selector back to STOP, and the GEN light remains on. I can remove the key.

Intermittent behavior: With the gear in PARK, I turn the ignition to STOP, the engine stops and I remove the key, but the GEN light glows dimly. I wiggle the lock selector back and forth and the GEN light will go out.

I am not sure what the correct effect the ignition lock should have on the movement of the gear shifter.
Should I be able to turn the ignition to STOP when in NEUTRAL? (I cannot)
Should I be able to remove the key with the ignition in the RUN position? (I can)
Should I be able to put the car in NEUTRAL without turning the ingnition to the RUN position? (I cannot)

I did search the site, but could not find anything. If there are some threads dealing with these issues, please can you let me know the search terms.

Thanks for your help,
Peter
Old May 1st, 2017, 07:47 AM

The answer to all 3 questions is no. Question 2 is usually a worn key issue. The gen light problem could be either an adjustment or bad ignition switch. It could also be a sector gear prob if non tilt, and your ignition cylinder has been replaced. Finally, your back drive linkage may need to be adjusted, that affects how much the column turns when the gear shift lever is moved. Does the wheel lock in the lock position and in the Acc position?
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Let's start with basics.

Is this a factory floor shift car, or was it converted? Is the backdrive linkage in place and properly adjusted?

Once the key is turned from the LOCK position, it is possible to move the shifter. This is normal.

Once the shifter is moved, you should NOT be able to turn the key back to LOCK until the shifter is in PARK. This is also normal and is a safety feature to prevent you from locking the steering column while driving.

You should not be able to remove the key in any position other than LOCK. This indicates a worn key or lock.

When the key is in the RUN or START position and the engine is not running, the GEN light will come on. This is normal.
Old May 1st, 2017, 03:15 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Thanks guys. My column is a factory floor shift tilt model. The backdrive linkage (which I assume is the mechanical linkage from the column to the transmission detent selctor) is installed.
From your responses I gather that my key lock/gear selector system is functioning properly, though because I can remove my key I may have a worn key or lock; it does need a bit of welly to come out.

How about the GEN light glowing with the ignition in the LOCK position and the key removed? Is that an ignition switch adjustment problem? If so, does that require the removal of the switch, or can I loosen the switch and re-position it?

Thanks, Peter
Old May 2nd, 2017, 07:46 AM

The key issue is common. The best thing to do is have a new key cut from the code. A good locksmith may be able to cut a new key to the actual code, w/o having the numbers. The gen light should glow really dimly in the ACC position, and brighter in the run position. You can adjust the switch without removing it. The switch could be bad, or just need a tweak. On a tilt, there is one part inside that sometimes breaks (the rack?). I know about it, but I've never seen it, so I don't know what effect it has on the cylinder. Does the cylinder go into the ACC position and glow dimly? The ACC position is one click counter clockwise from LOCK.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by pcard
How about the GEN light glowing with the ignition in the LOCK position and the key removed?
When this happens, grab the steering column collar and try to rotate it manually to see if the light goes out. If it does, the issue may be as simple as a minor adjustment of the backdrive linkage.
Old May 5th, 2017, 04:45 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Thanks guys, I am back in Bermuda now, so will have to follow up in July when I return to RI.