General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Headers for performance 455 in a delta 88

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2017, 04:45 PM

Headers for performance 455 in a delta 88

Hey I have a 1968 Delta 88 with a built up 72 455 engine from a Cutlass and I bought these headers off of eBay that don't seem to fit and I've done some research and can't seem to find any right fitting headers for my car because of how these cars were made and that any set of headers is going to take some adjusting to fit in there/ I was wondering if any shorty headers might fit or if there is any specific header that would fit exceptionally better or if there's a way I can make these headers fit, they're from a seller off of eBay called tcboverstock and they were cheap and this is the last thing I need done have this engine finished any help would be greatly appreciated it's been a long journey getting this car done finding all the right parts and making them work, thank you!
Old April 19th, 2017, 06:15 PM

I would be surprised if they were even Oldsmobile headers? Guys are now advertising Chevy headers fitting Olds. No they dont make headers for this car. The passenger side will prob fit but the driver's side is where the trouble is due to the steering box. With enough cutting and welding there is a possibility the header could be modified, I would not want to try it. Just get the repro factory left side manifold for duals and get it done.
Old April 19th, 2017, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I would be surprised if they were even Oldsmobile headers? Guys are now advertising Chevy headers fitting Olds. No they dont make headers for this car. The passenger side will prob fit but the driver's side is where the trouble is due to the steering box. With enough cutting and welding there is a possibility the header could be modified, I would not want to try it. Just get the repro factory left side manifold for duals and get it done.
okay yeah it seems like that would be my best option because I don't want to wait any longer and keep messing with stuff thank you very much👍
Old April 20th, 2017, 05:46 AM

Here's a link to the reproduction dual exhaust manifold for the 65-70 B/C bodies.

http://thorntonmusclecars.com/produc...aust-manifolds

You can cap the passengers side manifold where the crossover was at or you can have it welded by a competent welder.
Old April 20th, 2017, 06:34 PM

Thornton's repopped factory S is the only aftermarket manifold available for the B/C bodies. It's shaped like that to clear the rear steering box and the rare manual shift B-bodies to clear the Z-bar also. Back a dozen years ago no one was repopping the factory S manifold. My Turquoise 1967 98 has Toronado manifolds. Passenger side is factory with no extra outlet. Drivers side is cut, rotated and ni-welded. Very smooth transition on the inside. A little grinding was needed to make it work. It has 2.5" pipes with a torque tube.toroexhaustandshifter002-1.jpg
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
My Turquoise 1967 98 has Toronado manifolds. Passenger side is factory with no extra outlet. Drivers side is cut, rotated and ni-welded. Very smooth transition on the inside.
Kenny, that's the exact same thing my father and I did on his 69 Delta 88 years ago. We weren't aware of the Thornton's reproduction manifold at the time. I've mentioned it on our site before. I'm glad it worked for you. Very cool!
Old April 21st, 2017, 06:07 AM

Yes, this was before Thornton's and the factory manifolds were rare as "hen's teeth." The factory crossover pipe is usually smashed. I've always thought it's a good thing they had the intake manifold crossover to help get the exhaust gas over to the passenger side if the crossover is collapsed. A-body guys have it so easy, ha ha.
Old April 21st, 2017, 06:20 AM

Thanks to "double trouble" my Turquoise 98 creating an "air depression."

3-14-2007-42.jpg
Old April 21st, 2017, 06:28 AM

A-body guys have it so easy, ha ha.
Ain't it the truth!

Thanks to "double trouble" my Turquoise 98 creating an "air depression."
Oh yeah!