General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Wiper arm removal?

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2011, 02:59 PM

Wiper arm removal?

Seems like a stupid question but I can't get the wiper arms off my 59 Super 88. Nothing in the manual. Anyone know how?
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:47 PM

They are splined and there may be a little release tab at the bottom underside. They pry off with 1 or 2 screwdrivers. Be careful not to bend the surrounding sheetmetal there. Sometimes they are tough....its leverage that you need or perhaps a puller of some sort but the screwdrivers usually work. You can also put some cardboard pieces down so you dont chip the paint.
Old October 8th, 2011, 09:36 PM

Thanks Oldsmaniac. I was afraid to pry but that's what I did. Popped right off! Thanks Again.

John
Old October 8th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Oldsdruid

There are special tools made to remove wiper arms and they're worth the investment.

Now- back to yo' 59. I'm guessing the car may have the Wide-Arc wiper option and the Wide-Arc cam at the base of the arm is keeping the arm from coming off. See if there's a stainless steel cam-looking thing at the base of the arm and if the arm has a black plastic piece in it that follows this cam.

I looked in both 59 and 60 CSM and you're right, nothing in there on removal, but I have a pair of Wide-Arc arms from a 60 so there IS a way to remove them.

Just looking at them, you may have to loosen the ferrule nut holding the Wide-Arc cam to the shaft and then lift it and the arm off together as the cam is keyed to the wiper stub shaft. There may be a groove in the stub shaft that the cam key will turn in once it's loosened a bit which would let you rotate the cam to a position you could pull the arm off.

Doesn't look like it would be an easy job, but there may be a simple trick to it. Sorry I can't be more help.

EDIT: Looks like you got it. Sounds like no Wide-Arc on this car.
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:04 PM

Yes I did get it rocketraider. Thanks for replying!

John