General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Will a 68 GTO steering column fit my 67 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Govt slave

Will a 68 GTO steering column fit my 67 Cutlass

Hi Guys,
I finally found some buckets and console for my 67 Cutlass (automatic column shift).
A buddy has a good automatic floor shift steering column out of his 68 GTO (no key on column).
I think it should be a straight swap...anyone know anything different ?
Old March 20th, 2016, 10:38 AM

way diff..but can work

67 the intermediate shaft is made into the column, actually it doesnt have one..its a 1 piece column and the first year for collapsible column..67 is a one year column..the intermediate shaft is the shaft that bolts to the steering box

68 the steering column and intermediate shaft separate..2 pieces...and the length is a little diff...if you free up the intermediate shaft so it telescopes and slides it can go in there..but theres still other things..

67 non tilt columns are not hard to get..ive had and sold a 100+ of them and they bring 75 to 150 for good uses ones

67 column in a 67 is a bolt in..and the floor shift columns from skylark, lemans, and cutlass interchange..

67 chevelle is unique and you have to do things to it to make it work..it will..its going to need a few mods and doesnt meet the dash right..
Old March 21st, 2016, 12:52 PM
Govt slave

so if I understand you correctly....if the intermediate shaft slides I can make it the right length.
Is the wiring the same ?
Will it bolt to the steering box the same ?
You said "but theres still other things"...what are they ?
Thanks,
Matt
Old March 21st, 2016, 08:29 PM

the mount to the bottom of the dash is completely different..completely..you have to figure that out

yes you can free up the shaft..it is plastic injected like a stock original u-joint..you heat it up, the plastic runs out and while its hot you make it slide and then its adjustable

bolts to the steering box the same..leave the box half of the rag joint on the box use the 68 half of the rag joint on the column and bolt it together

wire harness is diff...they are the same amount and color of wires, just the connector is diff and they are in a diff order..easy to fix.

you should really look for a 67 column..your life depends on it..and i dont know what you skill level is..

just buy a bolt in and go..the diff in pricing cant be much..and theres prob more 67s columns out there than you think..if you lived in a spot where nothing was ever avail..then think about mods..

66 down is completely diff and wont work with out a bunch of work
Old March 21st, 2016, 08:55 PM
Govt slave

Thanks for the input...I think I'm gonna listen to your advise and try and find a 67 BOP Column.
Old March 21st, 2016, 09:11 PM

I have a '67 column out of my race car. It is blue, 2 speed, column shift. I will sell it for $100 plus shipping.
Let me know, dave - the Freak
Old March 22nd, 2016, 04:56 PM
Govt slave

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass Freak
I have a '67 column out of my race car. It is blue, 2 speed, column shift. I will sell it for $100 plus shipping.
Let me know, dave - the Freak
Thanx for the offer ,but I have a column shift and am looking to install a console shift
Old March 27th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Govt slave

this would be the easiest solution right ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Pontiac...tWaeNN&vxp=mtr

Originally Posted by marxjunk
the mount to the bottom of the dash is completely different..completely..you have to figure that out

yes you can free up the shaft..it is plastic injected like a stock original u-joint..you heat it up, the plastic runs out and while its hot you make it slide and then its adjustable

bolts to the steering box the same..leave the box half of the rag joint on the box use the 68 half of the rag joint on the column and bolt it together

wire harness is diff...they are the same amount and color of wires, just the connector is diff and they are in a diff order..easy to fix.

you should really look for a 67 column..your life depends on it..and i dont know what you skill level is..

just buy a bolt in and go..the diff in pricing cant be much..and theres prob more 67s columns out there than you think..if you lived in a spot where nothing was ever avail..then think about mods..

66 down is completely diff and wont work with out a bunch of work
Old March 27th, 2016, 03:49 PM

yes you could convert yours with that collar...while its apart grease the bearings etc...it takes a little time but its really easy to do it.

but honestly...thats a 50 dollar part...but if you are tired of looking its not terrible
Old March 27th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Govt slave

Originally Posted by marxjunk
yes you could convert yours with that collar...while its apart grease the bearings etc...it takes a little time but its really easy to do it.

but honestly...thats a 50 dollar part...but if you are tired of looking its not terrible
I agree it's a $50 part at most, but I have never seen another"just the collar" for sale...I'm sure as soon as I decide to buy it, I'll find one for $10....story of my life...LOL