General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Torque wrench selection, calibration, recommendations

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2020, 11:14 AM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

Torque wrench selection, calibration, recommendations

Getting ready to start a 2004r build and decided that i need a more appropriate torque wrench (TW) than my old Craftsman 1/2" 10-150 f/lb clicker. my budget is $100-200.

I want to be able to torque bolts in the lower range 10-30 f/lb accurately, but if i can get a TW that does this and goes higher, so much the better. I'm thinking 3/8" drive but what confuses me is the way that useable torque ranges are figured. Looks like most TW are accurate from 20-100% of their max range. If this is the case, then the lower the max, the lower the bottom limit of accuracy will go - meaning 20% of a 50 f/lb max is 10 f/p, while 20% of a 100 f/lb max is 20 f/lp. So, if i want to be able to accurately and repeatably torque at 10 f/lb, i should not buy a TW that maxes over 50 f/lbs. This seems wrong to me - like I've simplified it too much. Any insight into this is appreciated, as it will help me pick the right wrench. I'm waffling over this because if I can get a 3/8" TW that accurately works between (for example) 7.5-37 f/lb, I'd rather have that, than a 1/4" TW that works from 2-20 f/lb.

Second - it never occurred to me that i needed to regularly calibrate my TW. I've been thinking about getting a torque adapter to begin doing it at home. Most of the few that are advertised <$100 don't say anything about being able to be calibrated themselves, although the AC Delco ARM302-4S has this function. Unfortunately, there is nothing about how to calibrate it in the literature that i can find online. If i can't ensure that the device that i'm using to check my TW is accurate - then there's no point in doing it this way. Any thoughts on home calibration using non-professional equipment are welcome. Also, if anybody knows of a place in Balto/DC that does TW calibration I'd welcome recommendations.

Finally, if anybody wants to offer a recommendation on a TW or a specific function (digital, click type, etc.) - i'll gladly take it. I'm looking for one that i can use for automotive hobby, to build engines, trans, etc. that will supplement the Craftsman that I already have. Would like it to be a step up from the Craftsman, which can be relegated to lug nuts and suspension work, etc. I Realize that my budget isn't much, but i was hoping that if home calibration was an option, by monitoring the accuracy of my tools I could feel confident in the tools that my budget will allow.

Wasn't sure where to put a tool thread, so please move if this is in the wrong spot, thanks. - mark
Old February 5th, 2020, 11:25 AM

If you are doing more than just transmissions you will find you need two of them. I have a 3/8 clicker Snap On from 15 ft lbs to 100 ft lbs and then a 1/2 beam Snap On that goes from around 30 to I think 250. I also have a 3/8 Snap On Tech wrench that does Inch lbs, Ft lbs and angle. I use this one the most but is very expensive. I don't often buy Snap On tools but I do really like their torque wrenches. I am sure lower priced ones will work just fine also but I would not go with Harbor freight either.
Old February 5th, 2020, 02:48 PM
72 Cutlass Ponca City OK

Get a set of 3 from harbor freight, get them calibrated, and be in business.
Old February 5th, 2020, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by adis
Getting ready to start a 2004r build and decided that i need a more appropriate torque wrench (TW) than my old Craftsman 1/2" 10-150 f/lb clicker. my budget is $100-200.

I want to be able to torque bolts in the lower range 10-30 f/lb accurately, but if i can get a TW that does this and goes higher, so much the better. I'm thinking 3/8" drive but what confuses me is the way that useable torque ranges are figured. Looks like most TW are accurate from 20-100% of their max range. If this is the case, then the lower the max, the lower the bottom limit of accuracy will go - meaning 20% of a 50 f/lb max is 10 f/p, while 20% of a 100 f/lb max is 20 f/lp. So, if i want to be able to accurately and repeatably torque at 10 f/lb, i should not buy a TW that maxes over 50 f/lbs. This seems wrong to me - like I've simplified it too much. Any insight into this is appreciated, as it will help me pick the right wrench. I'm waffling over this because if I can get a 3/8" TW that accurately works between (for example) 7.5-37 f/lb, I'd rather have that, than a 1/4" TW that works from 2-20 f/lb.

Second - it never occurred to me that i needed to regularly calibrate my TW. I've been thinking about getting a torque adapter to begin doing it at home. Most of the few that are advertised <$100 don't say anything about being able to be calibrated themselves, although the AC Delco ARM302-4S has this function. Unfortunately, there is nothing about how to calibrate it in the literature that i can find online. If i can't ensure that the device that i'm using to check my TW is accurate - then there's no point in doing it this way. Any thoughts on home calibration using non-professional equipment are welcome. Also, if anybody knows of a place in Balto/DC that does TW calibration I'd welcome recommendations.

Finally, if anybody wants to offer a recommendation on a TW or a specific function (digital, click type, etc.) - i'll gladly take it. I'm looking for one that i can use for automotive hobby, to build engines, trans, etc. that will supplement the Craftsman that I already have. Would like it to be a step up from the Craftsman, which can be relegated to lug nuts and suspension work, etc. I Realize that my budget isn't much, but i was hoping that if home calibration was an option, by monitoring the accuracy of my tools I could feel confident in the tools that my budget will allow.

Wasn't sure where to put a tool thread, so please move if this is in the wrong spot, thanks. - mark
Mark, don't overthink this subject. Don't overlook the old Craftsman torque wrench til you have checked the calibration. If you have a Home Depot near you, they do have quality tools.
1. Get a torque wrench that is easy to read the setting numbers in less than ideal lighting situations. You are going to torque things in steps, so you will change the setting where you are. Don't get a torque wrench with the lock on the end of the handle.......a spring loaded locking ring (SLIDES UP TO TURN THE HANDLE) is best.
2. Buy a torque wrench or two. Get one that can torque in inch/pounds in the range you need.
3. Torque wrenches are "guaranteed" to be accurate within ____ (this varies from 2% to 6% depending on brand, 4% is common). Now the accuracy guarantee below 20% of the torque wrench range means that its not within the "guaranteed" %. Lets say that the torque wrench is rated at 4% accurate....below 20% of the torque range, maybe its accurate within 5% or 6%. I wouldn't use a torque wrench near the low end of the range.
4. If you can, get 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" (if you need one) to overlap the bottom end of the torque range of your torque wrenches.
5. Buy good tools. You don't need Snap On or Matco.....you DON'T WANT Harbor Freight.
6. Check online for a "tool calibration" company in your area.
........Just my two cents worth.
Old February 5th, 2020, 03:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

You don't want one torque wrench that covers the entire range. 10 ft-lb is only 7% of scale for a 150 ft-lb wrench. Get an inch-lb beam style torque wrench in addition to the 0-150 ft-lb. I also have a 0-25 ft-lb beam style that I use a lot for assembly tasks like this.
Old February 5th, 2020, 05:14 PM

I bought my Snap On 1/2 and 3/8 torque wrenches probably 25 years ago, back when I was turning wrenches for a living. I have since added used 3/8 inch pound and dial type wrenches. I have tested al of them several times over the years in the Gauge Crib at work. Thy have a certified calibration table that is regularly tested and checked off for accuracy. All of my wrenches have passed, even the used ones. The important thing to remember is to zero your clicker type wrenches to release the tension on the spring.
Old February 5th, 2020, 06:56 PM

You might want to consider an INCH POUND torque wrench for lower settings such as you are looking for. 12 inch pounds = 1 foot pound . A 0-200 inch pound or something like that will put your 10ft/lbs in the nominal range. There are YouTube videos on how to home calibrate torque wrenches. Also a wide variety of torque tips on the internet. It's very important to properly lube fasteners that require lube. Different lubricants effect torque readings. I deal with aircraft but automotive torque is just as important, we use inch pound torque wrenches up to 1000 in/lbs.
Old February 5th, 2020, 07:14 PM

Good point. I have three torque wrenches:

1/2" drive 0-150 ft-lbs for regular stuff
3/8" drive 0-800 in-lb for medium stuff
1/4" drive 0-60 in-lb for small stuff

The small torque wrench was bought for things like setting pinion preload at 8-10 in-lbs and I had to search for one that would read that low, finally found a KD Tools 2955 wrench for under $20 online.
Old February 6th, 2020, 07:04 AM

For the longest time I used a mid-range 1/2" torque wrench (mid 2000's craftsman) and a 1/4" clicker from HF (mostly for intake bolts) and nothing else.

Those "digital torque adapters", like the Nieko, are inherently very accurate. So for work that needs precision (engine assembly, mostly), I calibrate the wrench on that adapter in a vise for each setting. I don't think trans assembly needs that kind of accuracy. The normal click settings would be fine.

I eventually got a 1/4" beam for setting up pinion bearings.

IMO, don't sweat the price or accuracy of a torque wrench. Use a "digital adapter" (it's really a strain gauge) to set for any detailed work. Just pick a wrench that you can use easily. e.g., the HF with the lock screw sticking out the tail? Total PITA to actually use.
Old February 6th, 2020, 05:56 PM

T-wrenches

I have used a lot of torque wrenches when I was still in the Trades (Millwright) I had a craftsman that I took to work one day and it failed on the first flange I used it on, into the scrap box it went. I agree with everybody here that you need more than one wrench to cover all the bases. You don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get good quality. One brand I would recommend is CDI its made by Snap on but with a cheaper price. What ever you decide when you get one, run it up through the torque range to make sure the hash marks line up, I've used high end ones as well as low end ones where the marks don't line up. If they don't send it back. Guy
Old February 8th, 2020, 05:48 PM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Thanks for this explanation, Ralph. It cleared up a lot of my confusion:

"3. Torque wrenches are "guaranteed" to be accurate within ____ (this varies from 2% to 6% depending on brand, 4% is common). Now the accuracy guarantee below 20% of the torque wrench range means that its not within the "guaranteed" %. Lets say that the torque wrench is rated at 4% accurate....below 20% of the torque range, maybe its accurate within 5% or 6%. I wouldn't use a torque wrench near the low end of the range."

So, I went ahead and bought the AC Delco ARM601-3 digital 3/8" wrench. It fit my budget and is rated 2-37 ft/lb which I figured would cover what I needed for the time being and overlap well with my Craftsman 10-150. I realize that eventually I will probably need to get a 1/4" beam for really light torque settings, but for now I think these two wrenches should cover me. Was not sure about getting a digital wrench, but most of the 3/8 wrenches are in either the 10-100 ft/lb or the 20-250 in/lb range, so I thought the AC Delco wrench would get me more accuracy in the range I wanted. Also, I do not trust my hand and my eyes are getting worse and worse - so I need something that tells me when I've hit my mark (either a click or a beep).

I also went ahead and bought the AC Delco ARM302-4S Digital Torque Adapter, to check the calibration of the wrenches. It measures from 12.5-250 ft/lbs. So, I made a little test stand and tested both the 24 year old Craftsman 10-150 and the fresh-out of the box AC Delco 2-37. I set both the test equipment and device to the same desired torque setting and measured the peak torque from the test device (repeated several times and averaged:

Craftsman - Test
35 - 36.2
75 - 75.1
100 - 98.5
125 - 122.7

AC Delco - Test
13 - 13.8
20 - 22
37 - 40

The Craftsman numbers were after adjustment (I don't know if I can adjust the AC Delco, it doesn't mention it in the literature. What's troubling to me is that I don't know which AC Delco product to consider the more reliable. They are both brand new AND notably are were both certified compliant buy, non other than:

Yes, in between touring, partying, and bedding starlets, Tommy Lee sits at a bench calibrating consumer products (I'm sure that guy's never heard that one...) Seriously though, the numbers on the Craftsman fall within +/- 2% - good enough for hack work like mine. I'm just a little concerned about the differences between the two digital devices - it's more like +/- 8-10%. If the Torque Adapter is off, then my Craftsman is off because I adjusted it to the Torque adapter. I guess I'll have to give AC Delco a call, and find someplace with better equipment than mine to figure it out.