General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Torque brace installation

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2019, 06:32 PM

Torque brace installation

In a recent thread I started here, it was pointed out to me that my 72 U code Supreme was missing the torque braces that go from the torque boxes up to the inner fenders. I looked in the CSM (see drawing below) and while it's a good illustratuon, I'm wondering if they can be installed without removing the fenders. The reason I ask is because in the drawing it looks like the nut goes between the inner and outer fender, and if the fender doesn't need to be removed, how does one get the nut on?

Allan and Norm both have given me feedback, and while I appreciate it, I need to know exactly what I'm up against.

Thanks,
Dave

Old April 2nd, 2019, 04:02 AM
Running On Empty

Here are the drawings from the 72' ASM which compliment the installation. Enjoy yourself.

Old April 2nd, 2019, 07:25 AM

Thanks Norm. With that drawing, I was able to locate the torque boxes, and it looks like I'll be able to install the braces without removing the fenders...whew...a relief!

Dave
Old April 2nd, 2019, 07:33 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 72455
Thanks Norm. With that drawing, I was able to locate the torque boxes, and it looks like I'll be able to install the braces without removing the fenders...whew...a relief!

Dave
I hope it will be that simple for you. I don't have an A-Body w/ a 455 bbo therefore I shouldn't have the brace. I don't know if ALL A-Body assemblies contained the same fender brace assembly points (and holes) as outlined in the images I provided. This would facilitate a rapid installation; yet, since those fender braces are specific for the 455 bbo assemblies, you may well have to drill holes for the attachment points. Enjoy.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; April 2nd, 2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 07:44 AM
Running On Empty

You obviously will soon enough be under the car to perform this installation. In case you haven't yet validated/viewed this general area, here is an image of a 1970 A-Body lifted off the frame.

Look @ Post #16 on this thread >>> https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...storation.html

Last edited by Vintage Chief; April 2nd, 2019 at 10:00 AM. Reason: sp
Old April 2nd, 2019, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the link Norm 👍. When I looked at the torque boxes I did notice the holes are already there 😀
Old April 9th, 2019, 07:23 AM

Update...

Took a look at the torque boxes today and it looks like installation will be relatively easy. There is enough room to bolt the bottom end of the braces up to the torque boxes without removing the fenders😀. Whew...that's a relief!
Old April 9th, 2019, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the link Norm 👍. When I looked at the torque boxes I did notice the holes are already there 😀
You're lucky. I had to drill holes for my torque boxes. I had a little trouble bolting the inner fender wells back onto the frame because the rods was against the inner fender wells.
Old April 24th, 2019, 02:30 PM

Check that project off my list...

Got the torque braces installed today...had the pass side on in about 10 min. and didn't have to remove a thing other than the bottom bolt that holds the inner fender on. Driver side...well...let's just say that it was a little? more complicated. Thought it would go as easy as the pass side, but noooo...no such luck.

I got it into place and for some reason the bottom didn't line up with the hole in the torque box. I thought maybe it was hitting against the inner fender. So I took all the bolts out of that and tried to push the brace into place...wasn't happening. After about 2 hours of struggling and frustration, I realized the brace didn't have of a bend on the upper side to line up with the hole under the hood. A slight tweak and it was good to go😀

Here's a couple shots of the upper bolts in place...oh, and I also installed the correct bolts on the pass side fender liner.

And no more fender-to-radiator support braces😀

Old April 24th, 2019, 03:40 PM

I wonder if these would fit and worth the effort on an early 64-67 with a BB Olds? I believe the frame rails on 64-67 A-body's are about 1.5 inches closer together in width and would that make a difference as far as if even needed and fit..
Old April 24th, 2019, 04:44 PM

Hmmm...1 1/2 inches total would be 3/4 inch per side. It may not work as the bottom of the braces are flat to go against the torque boxes on the 70-72 A bodies, so of you try to use them, you may have an issue with them being on a straight plane all the way down. Unless your inner front fenders are the same difference as the frame rails, then it may work.

Also, you need to see if you have torque boxes and if they are pre drilled for the braces, because if not, you're gonna have to pull the front fenders to drill the holes, as well as under the hood in front of the hinges. Then there's the issue of length..will they reach, be too short, or too long ..lots to consider.
Old April 24th, 2019, 06:02 PM

I know GM doesn’t spend an extra dime (a penny for that matter!) unless it is absolutely necessary, I’m sure these torque braces fall in this category. My question, has anyone installed these braces on a car nor originally equipped, and did you notice a improvement? If so, what difference did you observe? Worthwhile upgrade?
Old April 24th, 2019, 09:50 PM

Hmmm...1 1/2 inches total would be 3/4 inch per side. It may not work as the bottom of the braces are flat to go against the torque boxes on the 70-72 A bodies, so of you try to use them, you may have an issue with them being on a straight plane all the way down. Unless your inner front fenders are the same difference as the frame rails, then it may work.

Also, you need to see if you have torque boxes and if they are pre drilled for the braces, because if not, you're gonna have to pull the front fenders to drill the holes, as well as under the hood in front of the hinges. Then there's the issue of length..will they reach, be too short, or too long ..lots to consider.
When you installed the braces on both sides, did you had trouble bolting on the screws for the inner fender wells? The bolt that screws the inner fender well to the frame, I could not line up the holes because I think the braces is in the way. Do they make a different inner fender wells for the braces?
Old April 25th, 2019, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by ELY442
When you installed the braces on both sides, did you had trouble bolting on the screws for the inner fender wells? The bolt that screws the inner fender well to the frame, I could not line up the holes because I think the braces is in the way. Do they make a different inner fender wells for the braces?
I didn't have any trouble at all lining the holes up for the inner fender to frame bolts. Once I got the braces in, everything went right back into place. And from what I know, they don't make different inner fenders for the braces.
Old April 28th, 2019, 07:35 PM

I had no idea this was a OEM feature on BBO cars.

I'm adding some major power to my 72 convertible. Is this necessary? I've done lots of other frame/suspension reinforcements the last few years but this one I was not aware of...
Old April 29th, 2019, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by 72GoldOlds350
I had no idea this was a OEM feature on BBO cars.

I'm adding some major power to my 72 convertible. Is this necessary? I've done lots of other frame/suspension reinforcements the last few years but this one I was not aware of...
If you don't already have them, I would definitely recommend them. From what I understand, they keep the frame from wanting to "twist" on a hard launch due to the torque generated. Also, they are an original feature, so there's that to consider as well. Just make sure you double check that the ones you get are made the same so you don't run into the same issue I did..it will save you a lot of time and trouble.

Last edited by 72455; April 29th, 2019 at 01:58 AM.
Old April 29th, 2019, 04:49 AM

Big block convertibles didn't receive the front braces, only the rear reinforcement bars. I presume the side frame inserts on convertibles provided enough additional torsional rigidity.
Old April 29th, 2019, 06:03 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 72GoldOlds350
I'm adding some major power to my 72 convertible. Is this necessary?
They are identified as per the ASM for coupes only (Read up to my original Post #2).

Old April 29th, 2019, 06:05 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Rocketbrian
Big block convertibles didn't receive the front braces, only the rear reinforcement bars. I presume the side frame inserts on convertibles provided enough additional torsional rigidity.
^^x2^^
Old April 29th, 2019, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
They are identified as per the ASM for coupes only (Read up to my original Post #2).

Oops...missed that...sorry😕
Old April 29th, 2019, 06:43 PM

Got it, thanks everyone!