General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Thoughts on Springs

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2010, 07:21 PM

Thoughts on Springs

I want to replace my front end springs. While I am at it I want to do all the bushings and ball joints. I can either pay to have it done or do it myself. I am extremely handy and pretty darn good at anything mechanical, but it is only me. How are spring replacements.

Would all I have to do is release the lower control arm to get the old out and new in? I figured I can jack front end up and support with several fixed jacks, then after spring is in compress it with my floor jack.....does that technic work?

Anyone have any technical tidbits/advice to share. Not concerned about purchasing correct tools. I have most already and getting more is not an issue. I really enjoy doing such things myself, but if too dangerous or if requires multiple hands or perhaps very expensive equipment (e.g. hydraulic lifts) then I would forego.....any thoughts?
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:50 PM

fairly straight forward

Hey Bob, well the very least your going to need is a spring compressor, ( to do it safely), a ball joint fork, jack stands etc , I have heard guys using a floor jack, but never seen it done. I think you should be able to do it, I did mine, I would probably go with a whole front end rebuilding kit, they aren't that much in the scheme of things. You should have a chasis manual. if they are the original ball joints they are riveted on, the rivets will need to be cut off ( sharp chisel should work or an air hammer or grinder) others will chime in, but then you will be able to have all the parts detailed etc and you did it yourself, I think you should be able to do it.
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
I have heard guys using a floor jack, but never seen it done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1akq...layer_embedded

I posted this in another thread in the suspension forum... Much easier than a compressor.
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:18 PM

thanks Ben..

I saw that you did it that way, and I have heard others do it I was trying to say I have never done it so didn't want to offer an opinion, I have to say the spring compressor wasn't bad but not what you would call easy

but nothing ever is for me LOL....
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by coltsneckbob
... While I am at it I want to do all the bushings and ball joints...any thoughts?
I got all my parts (MOOG) from RockAuto.com shipping was fair, and they a 5% off (just search the net, "Rockauto.com coupons"), + no tax.
I also replaced every thing myself. I used a spring compressor. Some parts stores have a free loaner with a credit card. I beat out the old bushings, and had the new pressed in at a local auto shop, $40.

On the jack, I went to a pawn shop and got a 2 Ton jack for $7 new.