General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Strong Gasoline Smell - 68 442 - 4 Brl QuadJet

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2019, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The green arrows are pointing to the idle air bleeds (first diagram below). The orange arrows are pointing to the air bleeds at the tips of the main discharge nozzles (second diagram below). I'm still struggling to understand what you think is missing.

A lot of things I am, but colorblind is -NOT- one. Anyone besides me who fails to see green or oranges arrows as referenced in the post?
Old January 9th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
A lot of things I am, but colorblind is -NOT- one. Anyone besides me who fails to see green or oranges arrows as referenced in the post?
From the photo of the OP's carb in Post #35:

My diagrams from the CSM were intended to show what those items in the OP's photo really were.
Old January 9th, 2019, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by umbertoc
... I got a used Edelbrock "Thunder/Chromed" 700 or 750...don't remember for $250. Thought this was the best way to go.

I kept the original...I don't think it is worth the time and $ to rebuild especially getting a like new $500 carb for $250.
If you still have the stock intake, its not compatible to the Edelbrock. The stock intake is a spreadbore, the Edelbrock is a squarebore mounting flange. You will need an adapter or a new intake manifold.

Old January 14th, 2019, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by umbertoc
Thanks Joe and your time is very much appreciated. I stand corrected! I don't mind the gas smell but she does...so what can i do? Can live with them...pass the beer nuts! lol.

We started to disassemble the carb and I decided to buy a replacement. Rebuilds were near $600 online. I got a used Edelbrock "Thunder/Chromed" 700 or 750...don't remember for $250. Thought this was the best way to go.

I kept the original...I don't think it is worth the time and $ to rebuild especially getting a like new $500 carb for $250.
I've been having the exact same problem with my 65 Starfire. What I was finding was that when I would turn off the engine, slowly gas would leak from the airhorn gasket, down the inside and often the outside of the carb. Thinking the floats were too high, that was the first thing I had checked but never found them to be high. After several suggestions we ended up replacing the fuel pump twice and installing a pressure regulator and still had the problem. I sent the carb to Daytona Parts Company. They put it on their test engine and guess what? It doesn't leak gas and ran fine. How could that be? So after talking to him for a few minutes we decided to go ahead and let them go all the way through the carb to see if there might be something I missed. Like your car, we would drive it into the garage and after a while the garage would reek of gas. Also if you tried to start the car about half hour after shutting it down, it would be a bit hard to start (whereas the car usually starts on the first crank)
I"ll be curious to hear how your edelbrock does. I thought of that too but unfortunately my car has a 4GC and from what I understand, I would have to put a manifold adapter on to mount the carb, then an air cleaner adapter to put the air cleaner back on, which I don't think I would have hood clearance.

Cheers,
John
Old February 25th, 2019, 02:06 PM

Joe..I hope you are well. Per your suggestion, Sept 2018 - 7:07 PM, to retrofit by 68 442 to a fuel evaporation system...do you have any of the schematics with part numbers? I did some investigation and it appears that the 1972 system might be optimum. Any other suggestions to get this project started would greatly be appreciated. I spoke with some other people and they suggested modifying to fuel injection...close to 3K.
Old March 14th, 2019, 03:46 PM
1968 442 Convertible

I currently have the same issue on my 70 Chevy. It just started in January. After parking, eventually gas fumes would find it's way into the house. The problem turned out be the crimped seal between the fuel pump steel lower and aluminum upper. Just suddenly started seeping there for not apparent reason.

By the way, it's a custom tuned quad (help from ruggles) without evap canister and the usual thru the trunk tank vent. Prior to this, gas smell was never that bad even during the Summer.

Anyway, you might check the pump. Everything is made in China these days...
Old March 14th, 2019, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bry593
The problem turned out be the crimped seal between the fuel pump steel lower and aluminum upper. Just suddenly started seeping there for not apparent reason.
I had a similar failure with the pump on my car a few years ago. I backed out of the garage and saw a trail of liquid, looked under the car and gasoline was pouring from the crimp area. The top "cap" portion of the pump could be moved around it was so loose. First time I had ever heard of that type of failure, but you had the same. Hmmmm.