General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Steering column question

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2020 | 10:20 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

Steering column question

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a replacement “sponge” that goes on the end of the shift tube on a 71. Does anyone know if these are reproduced or available anywhere?

Thanks!

Old February 7th, 2020 | 10:30 AM

You could probably make one using some black closed cell foam sheet of the appropriate thickness. Since there isn't a "name" assigned to that piece in the diagram you show, it's probably not a part with a PN assigned to it or available from GM, "back in the day", separately.

I believe one "problem" is the seal/sponge was slipped over that end of the tube BEFORE the shifter ear/arm was spot welded in place. Why do I say that? Because the shift tube OD is larger ABOVE the foam seal (has a "step up" in OD above the foam seal/sponge) and again, no designation as a separate defined part in the diagram you show. Plus - each end of the foam seal has a black plastic "washer" that was attached to the foam and this would have prevented stretching when new (so it couldn't be slipped on from "above" where the tube diameter is larger).

Here's a pic of what appears to be a NOS shift tube with the seal in place. BUT....any of this type of foam is going to be well deteriorated as old as it is. The foam seal on this one has shrunk down and who knows how long before it begins to crumble like this foam will do over time.

Make your own using new materials. Cut a sheet and glue the ends together with a high quality superglue type adhesive. There is a black sheet plastic type material on each end of the foam sleeve - that was glue or somehow attached to the foam from what I can tell. Probably not necessary.

I'd probably try 3/8" sheet foam for thickness instead of 1/4".....a "rough" measurement of the foam on this tube shows it to be more than 1/4" thick and I can almost guarantee that it's shrunk up some as well.

Last edited by 70Post; February 7th, 2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old February 7th, 2020 | 01:43 PM

Thanks for the advise Patton. I figured I would have to make something since as you said, there is no part number or line item in the parts breakdown. Just was wondering if anyone has run into the same thing.
Old February 8th, 2020 | 01:59 PM

Wow, I never even knew that foam was there! dfire, love your signature, funny I brought out a old Steve Earle CD and have been listening to it a lot the last week or so. I especially love "a week of living dangerously"- good stuff!!
Old February 8th, 2020 | 04:48 PM

They are re-proed, I've used them. I bought them before, I think it's actually a 2 piece set, like an upper and lower. I'll see if I can find who I got them from.
Old February 8th, 2020 | 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Wow, I never even knew that foam was there! dfire, love your signature, funny I brought out a old Steve Earle CD and have been listening to it a lot the last week or so. I especially love "a week of living dangerously"- good stuff!!
Yeah I’m a big fan of Steve Earle too. I’m glad someone caught my quote. 😁

Old February 8th, 2020 | 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
They are re-proed, I've used them. I bought them before, I think it's actually a 2 piece set, like an upper and lower. I'll see if I can find who I got them from.
That would be great, thank you!
Old February 8th, 2020 | 07:23 PM

I think these are the ones I used and they worked great! Very inexpensive, I can't recall if I just used the one seal, or what. I'm not home to check the number, but I'm sure this was the company. A LOT of peeps don't know about these. Don't tell!!! Patton, did you get my NOS hook fan pics?
https://www.detroitmuscletechnologie...end-foam-seal/

Last edited by mrolds69; February 8th, 2020 at 07:25 PM.
Old February 8th, 2020 | 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
I think these are the ones I used and they worked great! Very inexpensive, I can't recall if I just used the one seal, or what. I'm not home to check the number, but I'm sure this was the company. A LOT of peeps don't know about these. Don't tell!!! Patton, did you get my NOS hook fan pics?
Awesome! Thank you!
Old February 13th, 2020 | 09:21 PM

Many thanks to mrolds69 for the info on where to buy the replacement “sponge” for the steering column shaft. The link is the one I ended up using. It was a little tight, but if you slowly work it it goes on ok. The large one in the double pack was too big, and the small one way too small. The single one fit just right 😁.

Old February 14th, 2020 | 03:25 PM

You're welcome! I could not remember which exact one I used, I think it was for Jeep. But it was from that company, before they would list on ebay. Glad it worked for you.