General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Starting issues !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2018, 09:01 PM

Exclamation Starting issues !!!!!

Any thoughts?

So last Saturday I attended two shows. drove an hour out and back. Mixed roads from back roads to highway driving. Car performed flawlessly, came home and parked it in the drive. about an hour later went to move it and the engine wouldn't turn over. It would turn over but not start. Checked the manual fuel pump, changed the fuel filter at the carb. Checked for good spark had that. I have spray in the carb at priming. Had my mechanic buddy come out. We put gas straight into the carb and he tapped the fuel filter housing on the Rochester and the car backfired and the engine turned over and ran. We let it run for about three minutes and shut it off. Tried restarting the engine and it again wouldn't ignite. So I have fuel and spark ! Any thought's what to do next ? Could it be a stuck float or jammed needle? He's coming back on Saturday, I really don't want to pull the carb apart.
Old July 19th, 2018, 09:29 PM

What year, model, engine, carb and electronic ignition or breaker points?
Old July 19th, 2018, 09:37 PM

Suger Bear.

It is a 72 Cutlass Supreme with the 350 5.7 installed a date coded 72 Rochester qjet with stage two upgrade from Quadrajet Power .com. in April, Manual fuel pump, stock AC Delco Pro ignition coil with petronic under the distributor cap. Last tank of fuel was Sunoco 89 Octane. I also treat the gas with Lucas ethanol treatment at every fill up.

Last edited by ragtopblue; July 19th, 2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old July 20th, 2018, 12:43 AM
Hookers under Hood

If you have fuel and spark then it sounds like a timing issue. How many miles on the engine?

Eric
Old July 20th, 2018, 05:06 AM

You can sometimes have too much gas. Flooding method is to hold the pedal floored and crank till start. Carb cleanup is not hard to do, remove air horn and blast canned air down all passages (wear safety glasses).
Old July 20th, 2018, 06:54 AM
72 Olds CS

Pertronix aye....many a no start situations start right there!
Old July 20th, 2018, 08:46 AM

miles on engine

Originally Posted by 76olds
If you have fuel and spark then it sounds like a timing issue. How many miles on the engine?

Eric
76 Olds. the car has 141000 original miles on it but the engine only has 31000 miles on it since complete rebuild in 2007. Had 113000 when it was dismantled to the block and rebuilt. We kept everything stock aside of adding 70/71 pistons for better torque. Also converted it over from single exhaust to dual. It now has Pypes performance X pipe at 2.5 diameter.
Old July 20th, 2018, 12:27 PM

Uh, factory 70 and 71 pistons are extremely different. 71 and 72 pistons are exactly the same. Not pertinent to the issue at hand, though.

Are you certain the choke is functioning correctly?
And as said, it could be flooding.

I'd also like to clarify exactly what the symptoms are. This statement in particular has me wondering:
Originally Posted by ragtopblue
about an hour later went to move it and the engine wouldn't turn over. It would turn over but not start.
So was the issue that it would not turn over, or that it would turn over but not start?

Last edited by Fun71; July 20th, 2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old July 20th, 2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Uh, factory 70 and 71 pistons are extremely different. 71 and 72 pistons are exactly the same. Not pertinent to the issue at hand, though.

I'd also like to clarify exactly what the symptoms are. This statement in particular has me wondering:

So was the issue that it would not turn over, or that it would turn over but not start?
Fun 71, Please see the message below, for some reason it only posted part of the information as a reply. Yes it has sorry 70 pistons for a lower end torque. Regarding the other question. The engine turn over but the engine does not run. The carb sprays when you detent the throttle cable. The mechanical fuel pump is working plenty of fuel comes out at the hard line to the brass filter housing.

Last edited by ragtopblue; July 20th, 2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old July 20th, 2018, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71

Sorry for the misinformation. I used 70 pistons for lower end torque. Regarding the starting issue. The engine turns over but does not ignite/run. It did when we poured raw fuel into the carb with a good backfire ! The mechanical fuel pump works fine. I disconnected the hard line at the front of the Rochester brass filter housing and plenty of fuel came out.
But one thing I noticed tonight after trying to start it again is as normal the oil and gen lights come on in accessory position. But when I turn the key to start the engine the hot light comes on but only when I try to turn the engine over. But not when it is in the accessory position. Not sure if that is normal. The engine ran fine all day with highway and back road driving equal to about 125 miles. Then an hour or two after it was parked in the driveway ( engine was cold by that point ) it would turn over but not ignite/run.

Last edited by ragtopblue; July 20th, 2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old July 20th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

"We put gas straight into the carb and he tapped the fuel filter housing on the Rochester and the car backfired and the engine turned over and ran. We let it run for about three minutes and shut it off. Tried restarting the engine and it again wouldn't ignite".

This makes me think the float might be sticking.
Old July 20th, 2018, 06:26 PM

Eric
76 Olds. the car has 141000 original miles on it but the engine only has 31000 miles on it since complete rebuild in 2007. Had 113000 when it was dismantled to the block and rebuilt. We kept everything stock aside of adding 70/71 pistons for better torque. Also converted it over from single exhaust to dual. It now has Pypes performance X pipe at 2.5 diameter.
Old July 21st, 2018, 07:50 AM

Stickt float

Originally Posted by redoldsman
"We put gas straight into the carb and he tapped the fuel filter housing on the Rochester and the car backfired and the engine turned over and ran. We let it run for about three minutes and shut it off. Tried restarting the engine and it again wouldn't ignite".

This makes me think the float might be sticking.
That's what we are addressing tomorrow after the east coast storm hits us today. Hoping for a break in the weather tomorrow so we can get this solved ! Only ten days till the OCA Nats and I refuse to miss it ! First time in 9 years since it has been close enough for me to attend since Sturbridge.
Old July 21st, 2018, 07:57 AM

Try spraying carb cleaner into the vent tube on top of the air horn. This will fill the float bowl with carb cleaner and might clean up crud that may be causing the float to stick.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 05:05 PM

A big THANK YOU To all for your assistance with my staring issue ! Between cloud burst every 15 minutes today, I replaced the ignition coil with an AC Delco Pro and spark plugs AC Delco R45S gapped at .38 and the car fired right up. So it seemed to be a spark issue after all. But not ruling out a particulate in the carb. We also gave it a few taps after soaking the float bowl with starter fluid. Set the idle at 950 and low idle at 650 and all seems to be good. Fires right up again. But due to the torrential rains here on the East Coast I did not go for a test drive and some 93 Octane to give it a real good cleaning out That will be tomorrow....to be continued tomorrow. Hopefully with good news ! OCA Meet here I come and hopefully I will get to meet some of you great people there ! Just look for me in the modified class !

And also in the July Journey with Olds if you are a member of the OCA !
Old July 22nd, 2018, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Instead of putting in 93 octane which does nothing for you, put a can of seafoam into a full tank and drive it till it hits a 1/4. It'll clean it out.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 07:33 PM

Sea Foam

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Instead of putting in 93 octane which does nothing for you, put a can of seafoam into a full tank and drive it till it hits a 1/4. It'll clean it out.
Oldcutlass,
Thank you ! I use Lucas ethanol treatment on a regular basis but which Seafoam product do I use? Motor treatment or fuel treatment. And how much should I use per you recommendation? I have about just over 1/8 thank of 93 octane right now. I have hardened seats/sleeved which were added back in 2008 when I had the engine rebuilt.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Seafoam fuel treatment, fill the tank and follow the instructions. I've had really good luck with their product for cleaning out the carb passageways as you drive as long as they are not clogged up.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 12:09 AM
Hookers under Hood

Good to hear its running much better and was just a spark issue. Nice looking ride!

Eric
Old July 23rd, 2018, 12:00 PM

Good to hear its running much better and was just a spark issue. Nice looking ride!

Eric
Thank you Eric, It was my Dad's car from 1980 till he passed in 98. I restored it in his memory. This is it while he had it up in Maine as a Summer cruiser.

The Cutty up in Maine going fishing ! late 80's

My Dad !
Old July 23rd, 2018, 12:09 PM

Beautiful car! I like the stripe layout, it flows with the car lines. Your dad would be glad you kept it. Good luck
Old July 23rd, 2018, 03:20 PM
Hookers under Hood

You restored a beauty with loads of great memories of you and your dad.
I have a picture of my dad clipped to my sun visor in my Olds, He rides shot gun with me everywhere we go. He's always looking out ahead !
Wish you all the best and safe travels in your shared restored Olds.

Eric
Old July 23rd, 2018, 05:46 PM

Gaurdian angel

You restored a beauty with loads of great memories of you and your dad.
I have a picture of my dad clipped to my sun visor in my Olds, He rides shot gun with me everywhere we go. He's always looking out ahead !
Wish you all the best and safe travels in your shared restored Olds.

Eric

Eric Thank you, His angel rides with me everywhere ! He has protected me several times too ! Glad to hear your Dad cruises with you too in spirit ! I only wished he had been able to see it restored while he was alive, be then again it wouldn't have become mine !