General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Some 1972 Cutlass 442 questions

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2021, 12:04 PM

Some 1972 Cutlass 442 questions

I have a 1972 Cutlass 442, 455 Ram Air, Turbo 400 with a Dual Gate with 47,700 actual miles built in Arlington, Texas. I have some question since it's been years since I disassembled it to start restoration. It's amazing what you can't find/remember after 10 to 12 years.

I have this sticker in the glove box but I don't remember where it came from but it looks like it could be something from original assembly. Is it and if so, what does it tell me? Where in the car might it have been? I have the original window sticker but did not find any build sheets except a possible sheet located between the springs and the foam of the rear seat (bottom, I believe)!

Also, I have my wheel well trim for all the wheel openings. My brother banged up the original RT front (passenger) fender a bit and just went on and replaced it with an NOS GM fender and there are no holes for the trim around that one. What size drill bit to use and what size screw designation was used from the factory. My originals are probably in a box in the garage attic but I don't want to go digging right now.

I thought there were a couple other questions but grandpa can't remember them right now so I'll post later if I remember...LOL! I hope to have it painted by the end of the summer and have the Viking Blue lacquer and high performance clear for it. I haven't painted a car in over 20 years and am a bit nervous about that. I hope to have it near done and drivable by my 70th birthday in 18 months.

Thanks, OLE442

Last edited by OLE442; May 10th, 2021 at 04:36 PM. Reason: added text
Old May 10th, 2021, 04:38 PM

Any ideas what size drill bit to use and what size screw designation was used from the factory for the trim for the wheel well openings?

OLE442
Old May 11th, 2021, 11:06 AM

Use a 1/8" drill bit and the mounting screws will be #8 coarse/sheet metal thread. Either 3/8" or 1/2" for the thread length on the screws.
Old May 11th, 2021, 12:06 PM

Thank you 70Post......I really appreciate the info. I know the screws are somewhere but I'm trying to get things back on track with finishing the restoration.

Take care,
OLE442
Old May 12th, 2021, 05:38 PM

70Post: Thanks for the info......I got that detail taken care of this evening!

Now, if I could figure out where the above label came from and what info, if any, it tells me?

OLE442
Old May 12th, 2021, 07:02 PM

The sticker says "Collins and Aikman"....that is the company that made the carpet set for the car and their sticker that got stuck there for some reason. It shows the date code for the carpet, the color, application, etc.

A bit of trivia....Collins and Aikman eventually "landed" in the hands of David Stockman (as CEO)...the budget guy under Pres. Reagan. Eventually ended up in bankruptcy. They did make nice carpet for our cars at least.
Old May 14th, 2021, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
The sticker says "Collins and Aikman"....that is the company that made the carpet set for the car and their sticker that got stuck there for some reason. It shows the date code for the carpet, the color, application, etc.

A bit of trivia....Collins and Aikman eventually "landed" in the hands of David Stockman (as CEO)...the budget guy under Pres. Reagan. Eventually ended up in bankruptcy. They did make nice carpet for our cars at least.
Thank you ..... I really appreciate that info! It’s been so many years since I disassembled parts of the car that I don’t remember where things were from! I went and pulled out stuff for the car and things were in different spots from where my memory had them!

take care, ole442
Old May 18th, 2021, 03:26 PM

70Post or anyone else:

I'm back. I have gotten 4 carpet swatches from Legendary and none of them match. Is there anything on this label(above in the 1st post) that would tell me what specific color to get my new carpet in. I'm comparing the swatches to carpet that is under stuff and not in wear/dirt/ or direct sunlight areas. The first one they sent me is too blue and I had them send three more from catalog photos and the closest is too green....per my correct color eyed wife. My eyes are questionable....LOL!

I'm getting a bit frustrated....LOL!

OLE442

Last edited by OLE442; May 21st, 2021 at 06:39 AM.
Old May 18th, 2021, 07:52 PM

Sorry - I don't have a definitive answer. Consider this....SEND A SAMPLE (from the "protected areas") of your carpet TO LEGENDARY after calling them first. Ask them to compare it to all the various years/colors they have and see if they can get a better match. They are just reselling carpet made by Auto Custom Carpets (ACC)....they don't make it themselves.

Send them something more than a 1 or 2" square swatch. Maybe a 3 or 4" square piece....easier, at least to me, to make a comparison with.
Old May 19th, 2021, 07:02 AM

I’m guessing your not going to find a perfect color match. Even protected areas of the carpet are still 50 plus years old. They fade just from age, obviously the sun and normal wear and rear is a bigger contributor to the differences in color. Then ad the possibility of different “recipes” in the dyes to color the carpet, all that makes a perfect match pretty difficult.

Once all the carpet and trim is installed I doubt you will notice a difference in color. And if you do, it’s more likely you will notice it because your looking for it. Just like a paint and body guy will notice flaws in their paint jobs nobody else can see.
Old May 21st, 2021, 06:37 AM

Yes, Legendary sent me a swatch for what they believe to be the correct color carpet for my 1972 blue interior! It looked too blue per my wife which could be explained by the above statement about age and color. My wife thought the color had a little green to it so I re-ordered 3 swatches from their catalog and none of them was correct. I'd like to ask anyone with a Viking Blue 1972 Cutlass with a blue interior who has replaced the carpet from Legendary........just what color carpet (by their color chart number) did they send you that matched??

I think it is right that more than likely whatever I get will only be close. I know my 442 was drag raced for a while when new around Houston, Texas and that the carpet would be very well reusable except that there is a bleached out almost white looking spot in the footwell behind one of the bucket seats. I believe it's the passenger side and that is the only bad spot. I think the owner must have done "bleach burn-outs" and may have set a leaking bottle of bleach there on the carpet! Just my assumption.

OLE442

Last edited by OLE442; May 21st, 2021 at 06:39 AM.
Old May 21st, 2021, 08:43 AM
Oldsdruid

In C&A's heyday they ran 3 shifts 7 days a week cranking out auto carpet and upholstery fabric in Roxboro NC. Known many folks who worked there.