General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Removing Rear Qtr Window/Regualtor

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2012, 07:27 PM

Removing Rear Qtr Window/Regualtor

Need some general guidance on removing the rear quarter window, please. I want to take out the window, clean guides, check status of plastic rollers (replace if needed…dang, they’re not cheap!) and then take out manual regulator assembly unit and check/clean it too. Do I 1) Take out the stop guides (3 of them) and then disengage the lift arm roller off channel cam and pull straight up inwards, thus removing glass along with lower sash channel OR 2) take out the manual regulator assembly unit first? I think if I take out the widow guide 1st and then all the glass/cams/sash channel, I can next directly remove the regulator out through the access hole. Thoughts? Let me know please. Then return these in the reverse order. I’m thinking the bolts and washer on all these parts need to be returned to the “exact” position they are in now to making sure the window rolling angles are correct. Thanks for your help! See Section 7-10 and 7-15 of 1972 Service Manual-Rear Qtr.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rear Qtr Window.jpg (363.1 KB, 41 views)
Old January 26th, 2012, 03:05 AM

One thing to do first, is lower the window a little and then remove the outer belt line weather strip first, so the window rollers won't catch on it and wreck it when you are lifting the window out ...then remove the regulator, and then the other stuff you mentioned...

Last edited by Yellowstatue; January 26th, 2012 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Lots of space in this box...
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:14 AM

Unbolt and disengage the regulator and the upper and lower stops. Mark the bolt positions on the stops before hand to get the alignment close upon reassy. Regulator will just drop down for now.
As mentioned already, after the window drops down, remove outer felt strip. After then, window can be carefully extracted upwards through the window channel. The main guide would stay in place so angles are not disturbed. After then, the reg can be extracted through the access hole.

Here is what you will pull out...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalb...57602930020786

Info on rollers:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalb...7602930020786/
Old January 26th, 2012, 02:27 PM

Nice job rob and very professional and creative roller solution too. Sorry for the rhyme
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:12 PM

Rear qtr windows

Thanks to all and Rob71, let me know if i got this right:
  • Mark all bolts and take out the regualtor ones out...when you say drop, it will fall down inside. Will take it out after I remove the glass section.
  • Leave the main large Window Glide as is, bolted in.
  • Take out felt strip, attached to outboard section of body...has some screw holding it in.
  • Lift the window off the sash channel cam and pull up and out.
Great fix on the cam roller! If i replace the main rollers, are their 2 or 3?
Again, thanks...!
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:51 PM

Yep, you are on the right track.
You only need to mark the bolts for the stops, not the reg.
Secure the window in the up position (think spring clip).
After removing the 4 reg bolts, disengage the arm's roller from the window and lay the reg at the bottom of the quarter. Remove the glass and then extract the reg. You might have to turn the crank to get the arm in the right place to get it out easily. May be easier in a non-convertible model.

The two side rollers are one type (not easily found new), the lower center roller is the one that usually breaks and is easily available.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 05:59 AM

is that bottom roller that is secured to the glass easy to remove? Can it be replaced w/o removing the glass? Is there a nut holding it on...how is it removed? thanks
Old June 2nd, 2013, 08:49 AM

It can be easy, or not, depending on how rusted it is on the roller and how well it is stuck to the glass.
There is a round disc with two holes in it that acts like a 'nut'. It takes a special tool to unscrew it, or you can make one from a scrap of 1/8" thick metal bar with two short screws put in it.
With enough patience, I THINK it can be removed from the quarter pillar vent. The position of the window would be critical though.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 09:31 AM

I looked at this morning thru the vent and I think it can be removed from the vent opening; just not sure I can get the roller stud out and clear of the glass to slide the roller up the track. I have concerns about that nut/glass interface as well. I soaked it with oil, and will make the tool and just let it soak for a week or two before I try to loosen it. What prevents the stud from rotating when lossing the nut?

Last edited by Del70; June 2nd, 2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Del70
What prevents the stud from rotating when lossing the nut?
Whatever you can get in there and hold it with...
One of mine was stuck so tight I was afraid I would break the glass. Another came off with no drama, so i hope the odds are for you.
If it is really stuck, then you might have to bite the bullet and extract the glass assy.
Old October 26th, 2015, 12:14 PM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
Quarter Window Two (2) Side Rollers

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Yep, you are on the right track.
You only need to mark the bolts for the stops, not the reg.
Secure the window in the up position (think spring clip).
After removing the 4 reg bolts, disengage the arm's roller from the window and lay the reg at the bottom of the quarter. Remove the glass and then extract the reg. You might have to turn the crank to get the arm in the right place to get it out easily. May be easier in a non-convertible model.

The two side rollers are one type (not easily found new), the lower center roller is the one that usually breaks and is easily available.
Rob, I am having a hard time finding these 2 Edge/Side Rollers for my 72 Cutlass 2dr .. Did you ever find someone that reproduces them?