General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2013 | 05:38 AM

rear spoiler

What is the value of an original rear spoiler for a 1970 442. I may have an oportunity to buy one.

The one I am looking at is in really nice shape and needing nothing more than paint before installing on my 442 convertible.
Old June 1st, 2013 | 06:41 AM

You'll need to reshape the bottom of the posts too as the wing was not made for convertibles. If you don't, you'll distort the sheet metal when you tighten it down.....

Decent re-pops available for about $300.00 if that helps place a value in it.

Maybe go find an extra decklid too instead of drilling holes in your original........
Old June 1st, 2013 | 06:45 AM

The convertibles didn't come with wings?

Good point about getting an extra lid so I can keep the original in it's original condition.
Old June 1st, 2013 | 08:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds442redberet
The convertibles didn't come with wings?

Good point about getting an extra lid so I can keep the original in it's original condition.
Olds never installed a wing on a convertible from the factory. The only "factory" convertibles that came with wings were the three 1969 H/O convertibles, and those were built by Hurst, not Olds. As noted, the wing pedestals are not shaped to fit the convertible (or 70-72 Supreme hardtop) trunklid. Many dealers did install them back in the day, and many more have been installed since repros became available. Your call. Personally they always look funny to me. The convertible is not particularly aerodynamic, so the wing really has no purpose on one.
Old June 1st, 2013 | 08:33 AM

Good to know, you just helped me with my decision. I'll be passing on the spoiler.

For anyone interested, he spoiler is located on the Houston Craigslist in the parts section.

Thanks
Old June 1st, 2013 | 08:15 PM

Yeah, its a matter of taste. But many many years ago I did put one from a dead Rallye 350 onto a 1971 Supreme. I gently set the pedestal on the edge of the deck lid and gently moved it up and down. I did find a spot where it looked good and fit without a gasket, like the factory applications. So... if the price is right I'd consider giving it a try to see if you like the look. I had put an OAI hood, deck lid spoiler and rear bumper with cutouts on this Supreme and I liked it. I also removed all the emblems except the SSII wheel center caps. I enjoyed frustrating gas stations attendents as they tried to figure out what kind of car it was . There's a thread a few months back where several of us shared what we thought were fair prices for a factory spoiler. I think the range was $250-500 depending on condition.
So if you bought it and decided not to use it, it would make great trade stock!

John
Old July 18th, 2013 | 11:00 AM

I personally dislike the rear spoiler on '72-'72 convertibles, they ruin the clean, unique & timeless lines. This is besides NEVER being a factory option, and new car dealers advised not to install them on new convertibles. Many think the rear spoiler was available from the factory since they were an option on the GTO convertible.
Old July 18th, 2013 | 12:45 PM

if you have the extra bucks and its a decent price I'd buy it as John says good part to own.

As a convertible owner I'm always mixed on this as I tend to be a bit of a purist with my car yet I have seen plenty of convertibles that look great with the wing, I think it is more dependent on the color of the car then one would realize.
Old July 18th, 2013 | 06:16 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

I had a few and they were hard to wax around and if you washed your car they dripped and dripped and dripped!