General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Quadrajet question

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2020, 02:15 PM

Quadrajet question

Has anyone everseen an inlet needle and seat like this

Neddle has no mushroom top to hang from float

Can't figure out how to remove for new seat
Old December 9th, 2020, 02:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Looks aftermarket. Is this an OEM carb or did it come from a rebuilder? What's the carb number?
Old December 9th, 2020, 03:09 PM

I don't know this for certain, but that may be a pressed in seat. I have seen those on some of the QJ parts sites. They are made to repair carbs with stripped out threads.

As for the needle with no float hanger, I think the fuel pressure is sufficient to push the needle off the seat; it doesn't need the float arm to lift it.
You may be able to get away with leaving it in and using a new needle, or even the current one. Bench check to see if it leaks fuel first, and if not, you may be good to go.

Last edited by Fun71; December 9th, 2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old December 9th, 2020, 04:02 PM

I have seen that style of needle and seat in alot of reman carbs I purchased for parts. If memory serves me correct there were a couple of different needle on the ones I had , one you could replace with a standard needle and the other one was unique to the seat.
I see your is like all the ones I had in that the casting is broken at the float pivot and has the metal clip to hold the float pin, I wonder if that happens when they drill / machine the casting for the press in needle and seat.
Old December 9th, 2020, 07:12 PM

The carb number is 7028251 which is the correct one I found for my 68 442. I don't have a history for the carb. The needle that was in the carb when I disassembled it is wider around and flat on the seat end. I found the replacement o ring style on line last night. I tried to press it out from the inlet side so I wouldn't damage it if I had to use the needle and seat that it came with. It is strange, I have rebuilt a bunch of Qjets and have never seen this before. Do you guys know where I can get different needles. All the kits come with pointed needles and this on is flat. Also the seat almost looks like and inverted flare seat.
Old December 10th, 2020, 05:34 AM

There is an o-ring style needle & seat for very early q-jets but it won't work on newer ones, I put up one from Carbs Unlimited. It's used for repairing stripped out threads. I've used them, they work, but with the broken float tabs, I'd try looking for another carb or at least a float bowl that might be in better shape. How are your fuel inlet threads???. The "251" was the common 400/455 rwd carb.
Attached Files