General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Price difference between parts suppliers

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2009, 10:01 PM

Price difference between parts suppliers

I am just wondering about price differences, quality, etc. For example, I am looking at a 1972 grill rocket emblem, and the Year One version costs more than twice as much as Fusick. Are they made differently? US made? China? How do I know what is what. Thx.

EDIT: Another example is a set of grilles themselves, ~ $160 more @ Year One.

Last edited by oldzy; October 16th, 2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:51 AM

Check www.usapartssupply.com (part number A1.266AC $28.50) and I will bet they are cheaper than Fusick (part number SE32F $32.50)... or try www.thepartsplaceinc.com (part number EMT2431T at $25.00) I would try Tamrazs as well but I think you got the picture.

If I'm not mistaken there is usually only ONE authorized manufacturer that gets to purchase the GM patent for repop parts. Then that manufacturer can sell to whatever distributor they want. GM can also keep the patent and sell licences to manufacturers giving them the right to manufacture said items from a cheaper quality material... ie plastic vs metal.

Fusick claims to be the largest GM licenced manufacturer of Oldsmobile parts. 1200 parts manufactured on premise.

I havn't had the pleasure of having a Fusick part, vs any other catalog part in my hands to compare.

Year One is to the Automotive restoration industry as Dolce & Gabbana is to the fashion industry.
John

Last edited by Eightupman; October 17th, 2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:44 AM

Year one has always been a lot more for the same parts. Fusick is my top choice for stuff I cannot find locally or from rockauto. OPG is okay when they have big sales or free shipping deals.
Old October 17th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

There was a lengthy and somewhat heated discussion here a few days ago about Fusick prices. I am with Rob in that is RockAuto has it, I will buy it from them because of price. I have only bought the Olds stuff from Fusick and could not be more satisfied. I have not purchased from OPG but if Rob says they are okay, then they are okay.
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Wear items like brakes, belts, spark plugs, etc. I shop for the lowest prices...like Rock Auto.

For parts that are specialized, like grilles, trim, etc., I will go to Fusick first, then to Supercars, then to Parts Place. If I know who the manufacturer is, I will go direct, like M&H Electrical.

I avoid Year One, OPG, BAP, Paddock as I have found their customer service to be poor.

The rebuildable stuff like alternators, radios, starters, etc. I have a few really good places that I use.
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Thx for all the replies. I have a few parts I am bidding on eBay with Fusick. If I don't win them, will just order them separately.

One thing I just noticed, I won some parts from an ebayer, then noticed on the box when I got it, that it said 'Inline Tube' (no mention of this on eBay unless my eyes are getting worse, LOL). Everything was packaged nice and separate. However, I did another search here, then find some possible disturbing info about them. I should have searched more first. They have a 99.8% feedback, which is pretty good. Aside from obvious typos in their eBay descriptions, it was nice to see a pic from the manual/parts book for installing. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

It would be nice to see more of Fusick's stuff on feebay, since my cc is maxed right now, and only have funds on my checking acct. Their online order form is so 90's, LOL.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:33 AM

If you like feebay, check out Tamrazs store. They supply Fusick.

John