General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Pertronix Distributor Problem

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2015 | 09:41 AM

Pertronix Distributor Problem

Trouble with this new distributor. I've searched the forums and found some information but I just want to make sure I am hooking this thing up properly. I have a new distributor part # D110700. Has anybody used this in their 455 car? I also installed a new Flamethrower II coil. So, I ran a new 12 volt source wire (bypassing the old wire in case it is a resistance wire) to the fuse box and put it on the spot marked "IGN" , actually I just spliced into one of the pink wires coming off of there. I hooked everything up as it said. I did wonder about the yellow wire on the + of the coil but left it there. Red from the dist to +, black from dist to -. The car starts but doesn't stay running. I've tried a different source for the 12 v, same result. Called Pertronix and they said to jump it from the battery to see if it starts, did this and it tried for a second then just heard clicking from the dash area, now it does nothing. Pertronix wants me to send everything back to be checked out, they think the module may be bad and I have seen threads where guys had bad new modules. Also seen threads where guys had burned up more than one coil. Has anybody had this problem? The install was pretty easy but now I'm not sure, just wonder if I did something wrong to cause this or if it is a bad module or coil. Strange how jumping from the battery does nothing, could this be a burned up or shorted coil? Pertronix is sending me a new coil and module to put in the distributor and I will send back these parts for credit but I'd like to know what went wrong. HELP.
Old August 18th, 2019 | 03:23 AM

Coil

Hi,maybe should have used with old stock coil like I did..does the yellow wire from coil went to dist.?