General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Part # Book 77

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:49 PM

Part # Book 77

I see some part # books for sale. Would be a nice addition to my information collection. The year I am looking at, is 1976-1981 effective 1983. I have a 1977 Cutlass.
I imagine they would update, supereced, and obsolete part# as the years go by.
So what is the best book to get? The very first year of the car production date, ie: 1977 ( in my case) or the very last year they made the book which still included 1977 model year parts# in the title?
Do they make a 1977 Cutlass only part# book?

I am trying to locate the part# for the gas cap and heat control valve. Would one of you have a book to look up those two items?
All the NOS gas caps and heater valves I have found are incorrect for my car.
Believe it or not some of those e-bay guy's are wrong! Who would have thought.

The heater valve I have, has the vacuum line connected to the diaphram Valve that actuates a lever connected to the heater valve shaft. Like a choke pull off. All the valves "claiming " to be NOS correct 1977 Olds Cutlass Sumpreme have the valve diaphram connected directly to the heater valve shaft. No lever. At least mine came that way and I have had it since new.
The NOS gas caps I see aren't even close to fitting. Any thoughts on where to get these parts.
I know pictures! New camera just broke. Won't hold any memory.
Thanks for reading
Mike
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:06 PM
Oldsdruid

That's a fairly common book and would cover your car well as all the p/n would have been current when the car was new to a few years old.

GM also published a discontinued/superseded part #s manual every so often, but the kicker is if you don't have the original part # handy, the book is useless.

You're finding that sometimes a production part and a service part can look very different even though they function essentially the same.
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:06 AM

Perhaps the heater valve was whatever vender was supplying parts, is what went on the car? After looking closer I do see the side mounted diaphram does interfer with the distibutor wires on the right side. Maybe a vender change during production? So anythought on were to get a new heater valve part#

Mike