General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

newb post about finding general parts for Rallye 350 from chain stores

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2020 | 08:23 PM

newb post about finding general parts for Rallye 350 from chain stores

Ladies and Gents,
It is my first foray into the Oldsmobile world so please forgive my ignorance if this is a silly question to ask. I got a 70 Rallye 350 and I am building up inventory to start working on her. The issue is that when I walk into an autoparts store and say 70 Rallye the buck stops there. I understand it was a one off kind of car, so I am trying to get as much info as I can so that I can get the right parts. I looked up the Vin and # and it showed as being a Holiday Coupe body. I went back saying Holiday Coupe thinking I had a victory there, but I got blank stares again. It has S badges on the interior. It has power steering and front disk brakes. Can I just tell the folks behind the counter that it is a Cutlass or Cutlass S ? Is there something closer ? Hope I put this in the right place, and thanks in advance !

Old March 6th, 2020 | 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by JKZfixme
Ladies and Gents,
It is my first foray into the Oldsmobile world so please forgive my ignorance if this is a silly question to ask. I got a 70 Rallye 350 and I am building up inventory to start working on her. The issue is that when I walk into an autoparts store and say 70 Rallye the buck stops there. I understand it was a one off kind of car, so I am trying to get as much info as I can so that I can get the right parts. I looked up the Vin and # and it showed as being a Holiday Coupe body. I went back saying Holiday Coupe thinking I had a victory there, but I got blank stares again. It has S badges on the interior. It has power steering and front disk brakes. Can I just tell the folks behind the counter that it is a Cutlass or Cutlass S ? Is there something closer ? Hope I put this in the right place, and thanks in advance !
1. In your other thread, they are called center caps and bezels. There are two kinds of center caps....... "bolt on" and "snap in".
2. Understand that your car is OLDER then the person standing behind the counter. In some cases Olds was out of business before they were born. "Chain auto part stores" aren't the best place to look for specialty 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ralley 350 parts. NAPA might be a better place for belts, hoses, etc. You're gonna have to be more knowledgeable than the counter people.
Others will chime in with parts places like Fusick, etc. Good luck.
Note: Edited to correct errors

Last edited by OLDSter Ralph; March 7th, 2020 at 04:00 AM. Reason: to correct errors
Old March 6th, 2020 | 08:56 PM

Thanks for the terminology !
The car is 10 years older than me as well = )
Hopefully it didn't come off the wrong way, I wasn't disparaging them for not knowing, just trying to upgrade my admittedly weak Olds vernacular so that I can get my big beautiful yellow bird flying again.
Thanks for replying so quick. I feel like this forum and helpful replies like yours are going to be paramount to my success in getting her going !
Old March 6th, 2020 | 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by JKZfixme
Thanks for the terminology !
The car is 10 years older than me as well = )
Hopefully it didn't come off the wrong way, I wasn't disparaging them for not knowing, just trying to upgrade my admittedly weak Olds vernacular so that I can get my big beautiful yellow bird flying again.
Thanks for replying so quick. I feel like this forum and helpful replies like yours are going to be paramount to my success in getting her going !
There are a couple Ralley 350 guys on here that can help you. 70 Post and BSieg are names that pop into my mind.
Old March 6th, 2020 | 09:09 PM

"1970 OLDSMOBILE Cutlass 350 4bbl" should be what the counter person needs to get you correct part-store parts
Welcome to ClassicOldsmobile!! & got pics?
Old March 6th, 2020 | 09:32 PM

not that I have a lot of '70 info - but that's the earliest hardtop bucket seat Rallye 350 I know of

can you share the VIN?
Old March 6th, 2020 | 09:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
"1970 OLDSMOBILE Cutlass 350 4bbl" should be what the counter person needs to get you correct part-store parts
Welcome to ClassicOldsmobile!! & got pics?
This^^^^^
Old March 6th, 2020 | 09:37 PM

Original owner was life long buddies with the guy who owned the local dealership. He would have gotten first crack on specialty cars. It's possible even probable that he got his hands on one early. I'll dig the VIN number out tomorrow. I know there is a box somewhere with the dealership paperwork, the family I bought it from is trying to find now.
Old March 6th, 2020 | 09:39 PM

Old March 7th, 2020 | 04:04 AM

Thanks for correcting me.
Old March 7th, 2020 | 04:48 AM

Welcome to the site. My advise would be to first get your hands on a good copy of the 1970 Oldsmobile Product Information Manual (PIM). It is the manual that the factory used to put the car's together. It will be of great help identifying parts. Secondly as said earlier, for the most part your car is just a 1970 OLDSMOBILE Cutlass 350 4bbl with a few changes. The PIM will show you what changes were made. Lastly their are a lot of great guys on here that can help with parts and knowledge. Just take your time, and have fun.
Old March 7th, 2020 | 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
You're gonna have to be more knowledgeable than the counter people.
Agreed. I typically look up parts myself on the parts store's web site beforehand, then I can verify the counter clerk has looked up the correct parts.