General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

need help, Modeling a factory correct Rallye 350

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2014, 10:33 AM

need help, Modeling a factory correct Rallye 350

I am building a model of a Rallye 350 to eventually give to my best friend. As he is working on his own. I am wanting it to be as factory correct as possible in 1/25 scale, with all the factory marks and tags. Like it sat on the showroom floor. My friend has been working on his for over 10 years, Cutlass S 4 speed car. Original motor was long gone but has found a 350 out of a Rallye for it
For those who know the modeling world. I am using the Johan 70 442 body and bumpers, the AMT 69 442 chassis and drive line. Modelhaus resin, hood and spoiler. factory correct paint, I even found a photo etch set for it. All this plus a whole bunch of modifying and scratch building.
I am a Buick fan so the rivalry has been there for years.

A couple questions I have to start:

Is there a thread on a fully concourse restoration of a Rallye 350. or even a 442? So I can get the proper paint colors and paint marks. If not can I get the proper chassis , suspension, misc colors. Is there the yellow over spray on the chassis and floor pans?

I know with the Buicks they wrote the trim code on the firewall above the heater box. Did they do this on the Olds? what would the code be for the Rallye?
Can someone post up a picture of the back seat and rear side panel. I cannot locate a good one online.

Thanks for the help,

Tim
Old June 4th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Tim,
The Cutlass Assembly Manual for 1970 has documentation on the Rallye 350 info you're looking for. Rallye 350 paint is code 51 Sebring Yellow. The PNT and TRM codes are located on the cowl tag. Haven't seen any on the firewall as all the cars were black interiors - code 940 or 970 depending on whether the front seat was bucket or bench.

The Rallye was offered on the 3277 Sports Coupe (f85 but badged as Cutlass) 3677 (Cutlass Sports Coupe) and 3687 (Cutlass Holiday Coupe). You will know that Sports coupe and Post coupe are synonymous. Holiday is Olds speak for no framing around the side windows. Post coupes with no AC would have wing windows, but Holiday coupes won't.

Rallye 350 striping is made up of decals - it was not painted on the car.

Nothing really special about the build - it's basically a 1970 frame/body panels. Special features (mandatory on early production R350s) includes:
W25 hood and underhood components
L74 HC 350 engine
N34 Custom Sport Steering wheel (brushed stainless 4 spoke)
D35 Dual Sports outside mirrors
W35 Rear deck spoiler
FE2 Rally suspension
N10 Dual exhaust system, but with the dual cutout bumper and trumpet flares on exhaust.

SSIII wheels were color coded to the car and did not originally include trim rings.
Grill is blacked out

The bumpers were urethane coated sebring yellow - front and rear, giving the car a distinctive look.

For some reason the R350 wasn't a popular seller back in the day.
Old June 4th, 2014, 01:39 PM

Can't answer your questions, but would love to see photos of the model as it progresses. I've got the Testors version of the '70 442 and the '69 HO with the similar idea except it will be modelled after my '71 Cutlass S.

I'd heard about the photo etch kits including one with the correct bumpers, grills, etc for the '71...where did you find your photo etch kit?
Old June 17th, 2014, 08:13 PM

I will see about getting some on progress photos.

One more question: Is there a certain primer color that olds used. I know that different primer colors can alter the final color.

Tim