General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

More questions please!!

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2023 | 07:57 PM

More questions please!!

Hi guys thanks for all the help I got a few more questions.

first I took out my under the hood ac part what should I do with the wires?? Can I take them out or wrap up and hide them??

I whats the correct way to install the oil tube??

what’s the correct way to install my oil dip stick tube?? It’s oem

again thanks for all the help my motor has been out for 13 years I’m finally getting it together
Old February 6th, 2023 | 05:54 AM

Oil fill: hammer/mallet. I put a thin ring of RTV around the base. Not necessary, just makes me feel better. Just hit it until it's solid. Sometimes if it's been mangled a bunch then I cut off 1/8" from the bottom.

Dipstick: It's best if you can fit a wrench on the flat near the bottom, and hammer that. The two small bumpouts are a friction fit into the block. That method is pretty hard when the engine is in the car, so just protect the top and hit it carefully with a mallet until that ring is seated to the block. You might mangle the top or bend the tube.

Wires: Some of those are hot, so if you cut them be sure to insulate each end separately. Sure, you can cut them if you'll never put A/C back in - or eve a blower. I'd recommend just coiling them up and tucking behind the right wheel well.
Old February 6th, 2023 | 06:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

If that's a repro dipstick tube, expect the two retention beads to be oversized. I've had to file mine to match the outside diameter of the beads on the OEM tube by as much as 0.010". Installation is MUCH easier if you do that.
Old February 6th, 2023 | 08:14 AM

Put the tubes in a freezer overnight, have the tools out and ready and install them immediately upon removal from the freezer.

Good luck!!!
Old February 6th, 2023 | 08:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Put the tubes in a freezer overnight, have the tools out and ready and install them immediately upon removal from the freezer.

Good luck!!!
To be honest, when the beads are the correct diameter, I haven't found that to be necessary.
Old February 6th, 2023 | 02:15 PM

On the oil fill tube, find a pipe or socket that fits nicely (..not to snug) into the tube, tap it down into the tube and it will press that big dent out..then as stated earlier, a mallet. I use a piece of wood on top of the tube and tap it into the block hole..
Old February 8th, 2023 | 07:00 PM

Thanks guys!!!!!