General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Led bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2020, 09:19 AM

Led bulbs?

I’m looking for LED bulbs to replace the regular old school incandescent bulbs in my console. I’m using my down time to clean and redye some of the worn and scratch plastic in the interior of my Olds. I found some courtesy lamp lenses that haven’t turned crispy brown. I would like to install LED bulbs to prevent the lenses from baking. Anyone in readerland know where I can find a LED replacement for the 97 bulb (console) and 631 (underhood and trunk lamp). Any ideas? Thanks.
Old April 13th, 2020, 09:40 AM

Have you checked RockAuto ? I believe they have both LED and incandescent bulbs. I got every LED for my Toronado from them.
Old April 13th, 2020, 10:57 AM

No, I haven’t checked there. I’ll look into it
Old April 13th, 2020, 11:52 AM

try here https://www.superbrightleds.com/ i have few bulb from them and work great
Old April 14th, 2020, 04:35 AM

Many places will have LEDs to replace the incandescents you list (including Amazon). Be careful if there are physical size limitations in your application. LED directionality, intensities and colors will vary.
Old April 14th, 2020, 07:20 AM
Recovering Import Driver

Originally Posted by cfhcar
try here https://www.superbrightleds.com/ i have few bulb from them and work great
Two quick LED-related endorsements/I've had experience with these and liked 'em:

SuperBrightLEDs.com
I've always been happy with superbrightleds.com. In comparing various Amazon cheepies I've had or seen vs. SBL, the ones I got from SBL hands down are better/seem to have been vetted a bit more.

I have a '72 S, I imagine the twist lock base housing design is the same for nearly every one of our Olds' however. A word of caution, these 1157's (LINK HERE) will NOT fit your tail lights or front turn signal housings. Nor do the similar design 1156's fit the reverse lights. They get too thick, too quickly, and cannot be inserted into the twist lock base far enough for the tabs to lock it in (ask me how I know...). SBL was good about returning the bulbs though. Still on the hunt for LED tails/turns/reverse bulbs that fit....

Hikari LED Headlight Bulbs
Not all stuff on Amazon is junk though (obviously). I will someday convert my headlights (sealed beam) to modular H4 housings; I intend to use LEDs from Hikari. I have a set of them in my reflector-style headlights of my motorcycle; the LED element is right where the stock halogen's filament sits, so the pattern is good and doesn't blind oncoming traffic. I don't have a photometer to confirm relative brightness, but wow...the difference was staggering, the improvement in illumination down the road (after checking the aim, of course) was incredible.