General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

hydraulic leak in convertible top

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2010 | 07:55 AM

hydraulic leak in convertible top

I just noticed a small amount of hydraulic fluid under my rear seat. I am hoping to out off this particular repair until 2011.

My question then is: If the hydraulic mechanism fails completely is there a method to manually pull up the top? If yes can anyone provide a quick description of the procedure?
Old August 21st, 2010 | 08:32 AM

Based on all the trouble I had getting the top on my 72 working last summer and things I have read. To manually operate the top you need to have the cylinders disconnected from the frame. If you disconnect them you can manually raise and lower the top. I would recomend that you have one person on either side when doing it (or stand in the middle) so that you don't twist up your frame. I sure others will chime in as to their experiences with tops also.
Old August 21st, 2010 | 10:49 AM

Any recommendations on how to best and most easily disconnect those cylinders should the need arise?
Old August 21st, 2010 | 11:30 AM

Take the metal covers off at each end of the seat. That will give you access to the bolts that hold the cylinders to the frame. You may have to do this with the top half way up. Be carefull not to drop the washers, bushings or bolts down behind the panel or you'll have to remove the upper part of the rear seat and the door (well where the door would be) panels to get them back .

You should find where the leak is so you can at least stop it. There only a few places that couls leak, the cylinders, the lines to the cylinders, or your pump. It's all pretty easy to fix. Bleeding the system is the only pain in the *** part but even that's not to bad. Oh, yeh, paying for the new parts is even worse. When youo do get around to repairing the system use transmission fluid, NOT break fluid, that way when it gets on the paint it won't destroy it

Let me know how it works, not something I would want to do in a parking lot in the rain. Probably would be best to make the commitment and do it at home.

If I'm wrong about any of this I'm sure someone can correct me and steer you in the right direction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
A METAL COVER.JPG (78.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg
A BOLT TO REMOVE.JPG (79.4 KB, 33 views)
Old August 21st, 2010 | 01:28 PM

Thanks very much. I will try to see if I can easily repair the leak, but it seems that I am constantly busy and so I need to plan well in advance for major projects like this.