General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Help with finding a part, 1963 Olds starfire carburetor

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2024, 11:08 AM

Help with finding a part, 1963 Olds starfire carburetor

I'm looking to get a carburetor for a 1963 Olds starfire when I look online I find lots of results but I don't know what I need to be looking out for to make sure I get what's right if anyone can point me in the right direction for a reliable seller or proper part info I'd appreciate the help.
Old June 27th, 2024, 11:46 AM
Oldsdruid

The only carb that's going to bolt on and work correctly is a Rochester 4GC. It's a square bore carburetor that's set up to work with both the existing accelerator and transmission linkage. 1959-64 394 used pretty much the same carb. You need an Olds version if at all possible. There are differences especially on Chevrolet versions.

A Holley or Edelbrock is going to require someone familiar with how the car's HydraMatic transmission works to set up the transmission's control valve linkage. If that linkage isn't set correctly you're gonna have a big mess on your hands.

QuadraJets are spread bore carbs and will not work.

Do you currently have a carburetor? 4GC rebuild kits are available from several sources. If you have one that isn't damaged, a dip clean and rebuild is the way to go.

4GC:

If not: www.fusick.com offers remanufactured carburetors. A little pricey but they'll know the correct carb number and they'll stand behind it.

Also check with Don Monroe in Tacoma WA phone 2five3-five66-8four88. His OCA ad shows he has 1952-1965 4GC on the shelf and ready to go for $400. He'll clean, rebuild and set up your existing carb for $350. And you'll know the carb is right for your car.

Won't hurt you to get a 1963 Oldsmobile factory shop manual. It will guide you through carb disassembly, reassembly and adjustments, among other things you'll find in it.

63 CSM:

Don't waste your time and money on a digital copy. They lose detail. Original or a quality reprint.

Last edited by rocketraider; June 27th, 2024 at 01:13 PM.
Old June 28th, 2024, 07:13 AM

Welcome to Classic Olds, we would like to see some pictures of your car when you get a chance.
The other question is do you have A/C on your car or not. There are two carbs used in 63 with the only difference being the A/C carb has a valve in the bore to allow the engine to run at idle with A/C compressor on. You will also need to convert the carb to run on alcohol/ethanol gas, the new rebuild kits are ethanol fuel safe so rebuilding a carb is a good idea.
As Glen has stated you have to have the correct linkage for the Roto 10 transmission and having that set correctly will keep you from damaging it.
Steve
Old June 28th, 2024, 07:28 AM

I put an Edelbrock carburetor on the 64 98 I owned. I could never get the Slim Jim to shift properly so I went back to the 4GC and rebuilt it.