General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

hello to all...

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2009, 10:49 PM

hello to all...

hello all i am new to the forum, and really a first time joining anything like this. but need to do something, am having problems with my olds. i have a 1975 olds cutlass supreme brougham, its got a 455 big block with a th400 that i build for the first time. my issue is that im having starter problems, i have broken three starters aready and can not figure out what im doing wrong??? they work fine when i put them on, but after 6 or 7 starts and the car is warm they break or get stuck when i go to start it up. has anyone ever had this prblem before...
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:01 PM

Unhappy No Go

Sounds like your starter is too close to the block...there are shims available from GM or your local auto parts shop...they are usually about 4 inches long with one hole and one slot to cover both bolts..should be two to four in a pack, use what you need to get clearance
Old April 12th, 2009, 03:58 AM
olds..older..oldest

Originally Posted by olds_man_75455
hello all i am new to the forum, and really a first time joining anything like this. but need to do something, am having problems with my olds. i have a 1975 olds cutlass supreme brougham, its got a 455 big block with a th400 that i build for the first time. my issue is that im having starter problems, i have broken three starters aready and can not figure out what im doing wrong??? they work fine when i put them on, but after 6 or 7 starts and the car is warm they break or get stuck when i go to start it up. has anyone ever had this prblem before...
Welcome! Until I got an Olds, I had never joined anything either,and I'm 51! Sorry ,can't help with your question,but someone on this site definately can. Ask more questions and tell us more about you and your ride. derek
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:29 AM

Been a while since I had a similar problem. If the starter is too close You should be able to hear a noise I want to say grinding, but if I remember right it will be kind of a cross with a rapid metallic clanging. Gears grinding together under excessive pressure. I am thinking yellowstatue is on to it, but you want to be careful not to put too many shims in there either. If you weren't hearing any excessive noises, and the starter was actually engaging, I am thinking one...two at most. If you get the starter too far away, you either wont get positive engagement, and/or end up spinning teath right off both starter and the flywheel. I have been away from this for years now, and only recently got back in, so others may have either more, or more acurate info.
P.S. welcome to the site.
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:45 AM

Could be either of the above or the circuit from the ignition to the starter is keeping solenoid engaged after it starts. Could be a bad ignition switch
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Sounds like your starter is too close to the block...there are shims available from GM or your local auto parts shop...they are usually about 4 inches long with one hole and one slot to cover both bolts..should be two to four in a pack, use what you need to get clearance
i have tried the shime thing, but it only seems to work for half a day, then will go right back to doing the same thing. do you think i could have a bad flywheel or that it could be not balanced right??
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:50 AM

Question Puzzled

I haven't had a problem like that before...balancing isn't a starter thing...maybe the ring gear is damaged or the bolts holding the flywheel to the crank are not tight...how about disconnecting the torque converter and see if the fly wheel is loose, and maybe start it up with the converter slid away from the flywheel to see if it is running true...and then there is TNT...
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Past Administrator

I went through three starters when I installed the 455 in my '46, all three were re-manned from the local auto parts store. Finally I bought a new one. Maybe you are having the same experience? The re-manned stuff just seems to be so crappy these day.....
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:05 AM

thanks, i will have to check and see if the flywheel bolts are loose and to see if the ring gear are damaged and yes i have also been buying those re-manned starters as well. by the way here is a pic of my 75 olds and the motor that i redone for the first time
Old April 19th, 2009, 08:27 AM

hello

hey how are you im new here to one thing about it is if any one has a prob... this guys have the fix!!!