General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Gauge vs idiot light switch

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2014, 11:56 AM

Gauge vs idiot light switch

HI folks,

Just completed an engine rebuild and have a question. I replaced the temp sending switch with a new one from Year One. However, the light came on when the engine warmed up, so I began some research. I then realized that I was an "idiot" and ordered a switch for a car with gauges. So my question is, is their a difference in the resistance between a gauge sensor and a light sensor, or is it just the connector that is different. I am assuming there is a difference in resistance and need to get the correct switch, but I am looking for some confirmation before buying a new one. Thank you in advance.
Old July 5th, 2014, 12:03 PM

The sending units are different. The one for the idiot light is off/on only.
Old July 5th, 2014, 12:07 PM

Thanks Randy. I assumed that was the case but wanted to make sure.
Old July 5th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So now its a question of changing out the sender or changing to gages? I'd go with gages every time.
Old July 6th, 2014, 01:13 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

If you can, I say keep the idiot light and install a gauge, you will see a light straight away, if you are concentrating on heavy traffic or tricky road conditions you might not notice a gauge creeping up into the danger zone until it's too late,

Roger.
Old July 6th, 2014, 02:13 PM

Oh so True
Why is it computerized cars are not made smart enough to accommodate problems like overheating? 2006 Dodge, both cooling fans died... of stupid engineering/ assembly practices, it turns out. Teensy hot light in the dash... easily hidden depending on steering wheel/ seating/ hands position. Got the wife with overheated engine, puked coolant all over a parking lot she stopped in.

Here's an idea... since overheating can RUIN your engine, and stop your driving fun... How about
1) computer watches the engine temp. If computer told the fan to come on but temp is still rising, ALERT THE DRIVER *BEFORE* it becomes an engine killing problem. Lots of noise and FLASHING lights.

2) FLASH the temp gage red, drawing attention to it.

I'll bet they could even have devised a program to notify the driver when the FIRST fan motor died, thus giving time to get the fans replaced before they were both dead.

Better yet, assemble things correctly so that they don't fail prematurely like that.
Old July 6th, 2014, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the replies, but trying to keep it as original as possible. Do not really want to install any extra gauges.
Old July 6th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Administrator

I would just buy the proper senders.