General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Gasoline with Ethanol question

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2020, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The only time I saw valve recession is with high load engines, a lot of racing or heavy towing. As far as pushing hardened seats, can't explain that.
I have heard the same things you. are saying about high loads, racing and towing. The only other thing that was mentioned in addition to those you said is highway speeds as well. I t wasn't until the other day someone actually said what highway speeds was and it was speeds in excess of 60 mph. All of my speeds are between 55 and 80 mph for an hour straight. That is why I thought that the fuel mixing would be a good idea.
Old December 18th, 2020, 05:02 AM

I didn't even know leaded gasoline was still available. I imagine using it is sort of like using waste motor oil or ATF as fuel for an old diesel. It works but the environmental impact and cost are prohibitive.
Old December 18th, 2020, 05:14 AM

I believe almost all or most of the manufactures that produce racing fuels like "VP" still produce a leaded fuel option not to mention the aviation industry still uses leaded fuels for all non jet applications. The limited use of the product probably won't produce much of an environmental impact. In comparison to how many of these older cars are still out there driving in comparison to newer cars, it appears to be a non factor. Example of this is these older cars are grandfather into still being able to be licensed because back in the day catalytic converters weren't even invented for cars yet.
Old December 18th, 2020, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I didn't even know leaded gasoline was still available. I imagine using it is sort of like using waste motor oil or ATF as fuel for an old diesel. It works but the environmental impact and cost are prohibitive.

some race gas still has a bit of lead..

.https://vpracingfuels.com/product/vp...-leaded/?c=217
Old December 20th, 2020, 07:05 PM
Majored in rear tire demo

Most Sunoco stations carry race fuel. Pricey though. This was $85.00 for 5 gallons.

A gallon added to a tank of 93 will probably take care of any issues. Ethanol damages old rubber fuel lines and seals very quickly. They have to be replaced with newer fuel injected rubber lines. This will help keep the ethanol from solidifying in dormant engines.
Old December 23rd, 2020, 04:54 PM

Ethanol Fuel remedy

Get yourself a 5 gallon can , go to your local airport, find a tail number on a airplane and go to the front desk , tell them you want 5 gallons of AVFUEL 100 LOW LEAD for your airplane project, when they ask for the N number or Tail Number, same thing, give them the number ............. You will pay about $5 a gallon for this fuel but it is really super refined and in your car gas tank it will keep whatever junk you have in there for fuel from going bad for a while.
Don't buy into using RED STABIL fuel additive, it contains alcohol !!! Instead use the StarBrite brand fuel stabilizer , its in a clear bottle and looks a blue green color, much better for your fuel storage needs .........................
Old December 23rd, 2020, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Airbusflyboy
Get yourself a 5 gallon can , go to your local airport, find a tail number on a airplane and go to the front desk , tell them you want 5 gallons of AVFUEL 100 LOW LEAD for your airplane project, when they ask for the N number or Tail Number, same thing, give them the number ............. You will pay about $5 a gallon for this fuel but it is really super refined and in your car gas tank it will keep whatever junk you have in there for fuel from going bad for a while.
Don't buy into using RED STABIL fuel additive, it contains alcohol !!! Instead use the StarBrite brand fuel stabilizer , its in a clear bottle and looks a blue green color, much better for your fuel storage needs .........................
This is basically what I do right now. I'm a pilot so I know the routine and is super easy at my local airport where its all self service. Thanks for the additional information. I know guys that run the a combination 75% 93 pump gas and 25% 100LL every other tank and then run a tank 93 pump gas and have not had any issues.