General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Gas guage problems

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2015, 11:21 AM

Smile Gas guage problems

Ok with all the experienced people on this site someone please point me in the right direction! Problem is Dash Gauge on dash is pegged past the hot light space . When I remove the cluster and disconnect the wire it will move back down.

So I am positive one of you fine folks have been through this before and can tell me the best place to start trouble shooting ? Thanks for your assistance!
Old August 7th, 2015, 12:02 PM

Yup, just went through this myself. As has just about everyone on this site. It's the fuel sending unit inside the gas tank. It's a pain but do-able and affordable to do yourself.
Mine actually turned out to be a bad connection at the unit (on the top of the tank), or more accurately, a baked wire.
Just do some simple searches here and you'll find the info you need.
Welcome to CO
Old August 7th, 2015, 12:06 PM

Even though mine was just a bad wire, I still had to remove the tank. And since it was out, and my sending unit looked fossilized, I went ahead and replaced it. Just make sure you bend the float so it closely matches the original.
Check this out for a little info:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...pressions.html
Old August 7th, 2015, 01:17 PM

Cool Thanks for the Info

Its so great being able to absorb the knowledge form others experiences ! Though it might be the sending unit guess I will have to drive a couple of hundred miles this weekend to work on it, Cruising here I come( I made that comment because prior to getting these responses I filled it up!)

Last edited by Bennyboy2; August 7th, 2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old August 7th, 2015, 01:23 PM

Yes I caught your story on the sending unit what I do not understand is one gentleman wit an earlier model was having problems finding a unit! I mean I just sold a 54 delivery sedan and was able to replace the old one in it. Just need to think more outside the box I bet one for a 65 chevelle would work.( IT IS STILL GM)

Last edited by Bennyboy2; August 7th, 2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old August 7th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

This topic has been re-hashed numerous times because it's fairly common. To avoid blistering my fingers or trying to copy/paste? Here's a link to a thread where it's explained very well. fuel gauge pegged F - whats next?

Your problem is likely easily solved by cleaning contacts or checking continuity in the sender wire to the gage.
Old August 7th, 2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
This topic has been re-hashed numerous times because it's fairly common. To avoid blistering my fingers or trying to copy/paste? Here's a link to a thread where it's explained very well. fuel gauge pegged F - whats next?

Your problem is likely easily solved by cleaning contacts or checking continuity in the sender wire to the gage.
Agreed. But if he has the tank off, he MAW.....

Allan, weren't you the lucky one that could jiggle the wires and get another week of useful gas gauge?
Old August 7th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Agreed. But if he has the tank off, he MAW.....
Noooo, don't lissen.....

Allan, weren't you the lucky one that could jiggle the wires and get another week of useful gas gauge?
Nope, I pulled mine and the only thing wrong was the sock. Replaced the whole thing anyway just because the tank was being replaced at the same time. I also put one of Pattons tank pads on top of my tank.
Old August 7th, 2015, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Noooo, don't lissen.....

Nope, I pulled mine and the only thing wrong was the sock. Replaced the whole thing anyway just because the tank was being replaced at the same time. I also put one of Pattons tank pads on top of my tank.
You do know that you and Rob are responsible for most of the MAW disasters (and the nicest cars) on this site, right? Lol.

Benny, let us know what you decide to do and if you need further help.
Old August 7th, 2015, 07:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You do know that you and Rob are responsible for most of the MAW disasters (and the nicest cars) on this site, right? Lol.
Thanks, I think?? Yup, MAW disasters seem to run rampant with me. I fear another one is about to start with my cooling system....I'll have to try and keep this one focused, uh, well... you know...
Old August 7th, 2015, 09:49 PM

I have been "that guy" on several occasions. When the gauge goes bonkers I reach under the bumper, grab the sending unit wire, wiggle it, and the gauge starts working again. These days I am too lazy to drop the tank to tighten up the connection on the top of the sending unit as I did on my '70 Supreme back in the '80s.
Old August 8th, 2015, 06:48 AM

That's right Kenneth, that was you. Got my hopes up but it didn't work for me, lol.
Allan, I meant that in the best way. But when I read your write ups, I literally have to draw lines to stay focused.
Benny, see what happens when you ask a simple question on CO? Lol, sorry dude.
Old August 8th, 2015, 11:47 AM

Mac you and everybody are all Great People and I appreciate the help being sent to a mind BLOWING thread on this subject WOW INFORMATION OVERLOAD ! LOL I am afraid to bring up my next question on the brakes!
Old August 8th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mac, I know you meant that in the nicest way. Don't worry, sometimes I wonder WTH I got into in some of the write ups too. Seems like it's hard not to get carried away. It's an evil 2 sided sword. Do I leave it and come back after taking restored work apart or just carry on with the insidious Dr. MAW>*o*<? You know, it always starts off so innocently.

Kenneth - I would be hard pressed to want to go under and pull that tank with the temps you've been having. Prolly hot enough to self ignite that sender came out and the tank was exposed to open air? If you do ever replace that sender? The OEM ground wire is superior to the ones on the repop senders. Remove the new sender wire (too short anyway) and drill a hole in the senderr tab it was attached to. Run the old OEM wire through and solder. Works perfect. I also put some rubber tubing around the wire where it crosses the locking ring metal, just as extra insurance.
Old August 8th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Bennyboy2
I am afraid to bring up my next question on the brakes!
oh boy oh boy oh boy!! That's how I got into this mess in the first place. Front disc brakes and a blown ball joint boot. Ask away....
Old August 8th, 2015, 12:27 PM

Allan already posted it in the tech side so let me see what you got for this one. OH and yes master was table bled and YES the calipers are on right LOL
Old August 8th, 2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I have been "that guy" on several occasions. When the gauge goes bonkers I reach under the bumper, grab the sending unit wire, wiggle it, and the gauge starts working again. These days I am too lazy to drop the tank to tighten up the connection on the top of the sending unit as I did on my '70 Supreme back in the '80s.
Haha I've been doing that for years, except lately mine only works for a few minutes after the wire wiggle. I'm dropping the tank in the fall