General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

fenders / dash pad question

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2014, 09:16 AM

fenders / dash pad question

Hi to all. I have the opportunity to purchase a 70 442 and I found a few things that I question and need some help. First, the owner (not the original owner) is telling me he believes the fenders are original however on the inside lip there are the raised ribs telling me otherwise. Is it possible that the fenders can be indeed original depending on when and where the car was built? It is not a Lansing built car. Second, the car has no a/c however the dash pad has the side and center vents for a/c, but no duct work under the dash. Is this also possible with a non a/c car to have this dash pad? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andy.
Old August 9th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Looking for 71-72 Cutlass

The dash pads are the same for ac and non ac. The difference is the center will be actual working vents on an ac car, and not the blanked version. The lack of ducts leads me to believe the dash might have been at least taken out at one point.

Also, those side ducts are the rectangular shaped ones and the most difficult and expensive of all the under dash ductwork. I was lucky enough to pick some up off of a member here.
Old August 9th, 2014, 09:44 AM

That makes sense. The center blank is exactly what the car has. The only duct work I can see under the dash is for the defrost and for the heat. I was concerned that someone took the whole a/c components out. Thanks for the response!!
Old August 10th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by drew1987gn
First, the owner (not the original owner) is telling me he believes the fenders are original however on the inside lip there are the raised ribs telling me otherwise. Is it possible that the fenders can be indeed original depending on when and where the car was built?
No. The seller is incorrect. More likely the car had the front end replaced after an accident.