General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Fall Carlisle vs. Fall Hershey swap meets

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2017, 09:23 AM
1971 442 conv

Fall Carlisle vs. Fall Hershey swap meets

We have never been to these 2 swap meets. We would like to make a special trip and fly to one of them. If you had to pick only 1 of these 2 swap meets, which one would you pick and why?
Old August 7th, 2017, 12:05 PM

Both great events so I would ask what are you looking for or what are you hoping to see? Both are weather related as if it rains a lot of stuff is covered and you cant see what's there. Hershey is much larger but is geared for older cars and parts. You will see a bit of everything but lots of teens and 20's stuff, Packard stuff, oddball cars etc. There is much more ground to cover at Hershey. You need good legs and feet and a constant move to try and see it all in one day. Carlisle is an easy one day even if you keep moving but has newer car parts, 50's 60's 70's and the same mix of memorabilia like Hershey but on a smaller scale. Hershey can be a little like a Museum walking tour with all the unusual stuff to be seen. I am fortunate enough to be able to do both swaps.
Old August 7th, 2017, 12:07 PM

Let me add that the AACA car show is Saturday at Hershey. Some come just for the show and not so much the swap. Carlisle is just a junk hunt, no real car show at the Spring and fall swaps.
Old August 7th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

For musclecar era and newer and performance/street rod items, definitely Carlisle. For older and mainly stock, Hershey. Frankly, do both. Attend Carlisle Thurs-Sat and Hersey Tues'Thurs.
Old August 7th, 2017, 06:51 PM

I don't think that it is possible to see all the spaces at either one, unless you are a power walker, and not interested in looking at what is offered. I have been going to Carlisle for over 30 years, and I know that in the early part of the week, many spots are vacant, and you need to cover the field a few times to catch all the spaces as they fill up. Hershey, is so large, it is next to impossible to see everything, no matter how fast you walk. Unfortunately, many of the vendors at Carlisle sell modern day junk, but there are still a few diehards, like myself that still bring NOS and used parts that people are looking for. Hershey, from what I have heard, has been successful at keeping the modern junk out, and the true automobile parts in. If you can, do both, because they are close enough to each other. Bring good comfortable shoes, and a small wagon to carry your new found treasures. Also, bring U.S. cash, because it is the only currency that is universally accepted at both meets, and bring lots of it, since you will find a lot of good deals at both meets. Don't be afraid to bargain, but be courteous, and you will score. Be offensive, and the vendors will just ignore you. Have a great time.
Old August 8th, 2017, 05:21 AM

When we do the events we start the car coral 1st at 7 am while the vendors are un-covering. At 8 or so we begin the walk and do skip the big name Ford and Chevy and Pontiac vendors, tool stuff, repro stuff except Fusick. A lot of vendors are specialized and we are mostly on the hunt for Oldsmobile stuff. We skip the T shirts, socks, army camo clothes and the non car related stuff. We wont be bringing home any bicycle or cycle stuff, toys, signs, banners, car polish or cleaner, paint and related items. That's how we get it done.
Old August 8th, 2017, 05:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

We used to be able to get through Carlisle in a (very long) day. As we got older, that got more difficult. Now we have four spaces for Spring and Fall and park the RV on site. Typically we're there Tues through Sat, so it's a nice relaxing week. Often you can get the deals on Tues afternoon or Wed.

The signal-to-noise ratio at Hershey is the problem for me. There's just too much stuff that I don't care about that you have to walk past. Every so often you'll find a smoking deal, especially if it's on an item you want that is unrelated to the rest of the stuff that vendor is selling. For example, I found an NOS 1970 passenger side sport mirror for $15, and an NOS outside thermometer for $20. The vast majority of parts and vendors are for 1950s and older vehicles, however, and nearly all of mine are newer than that.
Old August 8th, 2017, 03:22 PM

Clearly depends on what you are looking for, indeed.
Carlisle is better for the 1950s through the 1970s & newer......
Hershey is better for the 1960s back to the 19-oughts.....

Hershey is the # 1 car show in the planet -- you will hear 65 different languages spoken -- as they fly in from all over this planet ..... many of them come for the two - week trek and do Carlisle & Hershey.....

If you want to see the most spectacular car show in the world -- it is Hershey on Saturday -- and use Wednesday through Friday for the most massive swap meet in the universe......

Bring comfortable walking shoes and rain gear...... and LOVE......
Old August 9th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

To add to Craig's post, while Hershey technically encompasses cars and parts that are 25 or more years old, there are precious few musclecar parts there. Corvettes and Mustangs are well represented, but very little for other musclecars. Also, AACA frowns on aftermarket parts, so don't expect to see a lot of those at Hershey (yet, old race cars are welcome - go figure). There are always a number of cool musclecars in the car corral, but not many parts.
Old August 9th, 2017, 07:52 AM
1971 442 conv

All Oldsmobile Car show October 8

There is an Oldsmobile show October 8 in the general area. May try to make that show as well:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/delvaloldsclub/
Old August 9th, 2017, 08:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Texas442
There is an Oldsmobile show October 8 in the general area. May try to make that show as well:

Yup, that's the day after the Hershey car show.
Old August 9th, 2017, 08:50 AM

Yep, I am a DVOC member and often we get people passing thru from Hershey the day before. The location is great and if weather is good 75 cars is a possibility.
Old August 10th, 2017, 03:54 PM

Hi Texas442,
I am the VP of the club and hope you can attend our Fall all Olds show ! It's our 15 th year

I have started a thread on the show, check it out and let us know if you need any further info.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-8-2017-a.html
Old August 11th, 2017, 03:42 AM
ph_ckstick1

If looking for parts I don't know if I'd fly in.. if the parts are of any size..
Many say bring good walking shoes/sneakers but also have a set of work boots or rubbers.. cause if it rains you will be walking on wet soggy grass and mud..
walking/running sneakers/shoes suck for this.
Old August 11th, 2017, 05:08 AM

Talking

The days of the mud bog at Hershey are pretty much over as most everything is now on black top. I've never needed a rubber at Carlisle but there's always hope!
Old August 11th, 2017, 05:37 AM

It is obvious that you have missed attending in the early days of Carlisle. One more memorable even was the giant inflatable Dino being re-inflated by a very drunk young female.