General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Engine temp and oil pressure sending units

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2015, 09:45 AM

Engine temp and oil pressure sending units

First, I am restoring a 1968 Cutlass S, I have the engine reinstalled and ready to finish up the project. On the Engine temp, I know where the sending unit is, however the stock one is for the idiot lights, and I need to install one that is for a gauge. Can I purchase one at a Napa or other parts store as long as the replacement unit fits in the hole in the block. Secondly, the oil pressure sending unit: 1) Is the unit to the right of the oil filler tube at the front of the intake manifold? 2) Again can the sending unit be purchased at a Napa or other automotive store? Sorry for the extensive post, but I want to get all of this correct.

Bob Wormell
yalikeme@Hotmail.com
Old September 4th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Yes you should be able to get sending units for a gauge from your local NAPA store.
Old September 4th, 2015, 09:58 AM

not enough information to answer you exactly. are you going to be instaling aftermarket oil and temp gages? if so, all of the aftermarket kits give you the parts you need for the hook-up and installation.
Now if you are wanting to change your idiot lights to factory dash gages,then you must get a correct sending unit. Also you didnt say whether you were wanting to have an electric oil temp gage or a mauual gage with a pressure line.
If you buy aftermarket electric, then the sending unit should come with it. If you already have a gage head and need an electric-style sending unit then you will have to buy one that is designed for the brand/model gage head you are using -- such as Autometer or Stewart-Warner. If GM, I have a new repop NOS - style one ( correct for a restoration) for $30 plus shipping. PM me if interested,
Old September 4th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Administrator

I made the assumption he was going for a stock setup.
Old September 4th, 2015, 12:14 PM

yalikeme, here's what I did on my 64 F-85 and it was fun setting this up. I have a Auto Meter oil pressure gauge, as you can see I made a line with copper tubing and copper fittings. Much better over the plastic they give you. In addition, I plumbed in the stock oil pressure switch. Got the best of both worlds. Got all the copper fittings at Lowes. I did the same with the water temperature gauges except I used 2 separate ports on the intake manifold. That said there was no magic to that set up no extra parts needed. Like now I have a redundancy plan if one fails!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3351.JPG (53.4 KB, 34 views)
IMG_3352.JPG (71.1 KB, 32 views)
IMG_3353.JPG (48.2 KB, 31 views)
Old September 4th, 2015, 12:25 PM

Correction-the fittings for the oil pressure gauge are brass, the line is copper.