General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Edelbrock swap for Quadrajet 66 Olds 425

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2014 | 11:24 AM

Edelbrock swap for Quadrajet 66 Olds 425

Anyone replace theyre Quadrajet with an Edelbrock 600cfm model 1406 on a 425/455 C.I. Olds? I have two throttle linkages on the same arm and I am trying to figure out how to adapt the old linkage to the new car. Here's a PIC. Any reccomendations?
Attached Images
Old February 16th, 2014 | 01:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by DanOldsMan
Anyone replace theyre Quadrajet with an Edelbrock 600cfm model 1406 on a 425/455 C.I. Olds? I have two throttle linkages on the same arm and I am trying to figure out how to adapt the old linkage to the new car. Here's a PIC. Any reccomendations?
Aside from the fact that a 600 cfm is too small for that motor, your problem is that the Ebrock carb is one-size-fits-all, so long as you are talking about a Chevy. I assume you've already figured out the spacer you need to get everything to clear the manifold (which means that the carb and air cleaner might NOT clear the hood on a Toro). In any case, you'll want to check out Ebrock's page of accessories, which include a whole bunch of throttle adapters if you scroll all the way to the bottom. I'm guessing that you will want P/N 8009. Ignore the part that says "Throttle & Automatic Trans. Shoulder Stud Kit - early Chrysler". Use one of the small holes on the throttle arm that looks like it's at about the right radius from the throttle shaft pivot point.

Or, you could avoid all this trouble and rebuild the Qjet properly.

Just sayin'...
Old February 16th, 2014 | 06:10 PM
Administrator

Your air cleaner may not mount on the Edelbrock carb. I believe your going to need a spreadbore to squarebore adaptor plate and some linkage mods.
Old February 16th, 2014 | 08:05 PM

I have a 650 cfm holley on my 66 toro. It runs pretty good. air cleaner fit and clears the hood fine
Old February 16th, 2014 | 09:46 PM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mo...Fc1hfgodEj4Ayg

Put this bushing in the big hole on your throttle arm and everything will fit. The carb to manifold problem..........you're on your own.
Old February 17th, 2014 | 02:21 AM

Ya you'll need what Joe, Tripdeuces, and oldcutlass mentioned plus fuel line modification as the fuel inlet is rear upper on the edelbrock Aka carter afb.Why not rebuild or replace with same existing quadrajet?Lot less work.
Old February 17th, 2014 | 07:23 AM

Thanks, All three of you..and yeah starting to rethink keeping the original carb. I have always been a fan of the Edelbrock a.k.a. Weber four barrel for they're simplicity and reliability. Holley's are a pain to tune for me but since the Quadrajet is a a.k.a. Carter AFB I may just do that. Edelbrocks are abundant in my spare parts bin also another reason I went to an Edelbrock. Thanks for the great links, I ordered the summit part, and I'll keep everyone posted as to my progress.
Dan
Old February 17th, 2014 | 07:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by DanOldsMan
Thanks, All three of you..and yeah starting to rethink keeping the original carb. I have always been a fan of the Edelbrock a.k.a. Weber four barrel for they're simplicity and reliability. Holley's are a pain to tune for me but since the Quadrajet is a a.k.a. Carter AFB I may just do that.

Dan,

I'm not sure where you got your info, but the Ebrock Performer carbs are simply rebadged Carter AFBs (actually, AVS). The Qjet is a GM proprietary design and doesn't copy anyone. I'll admit that the 1966 Qjets have some unique design features and failure modes (the fuel-damped secondary air valves, unique inlet needle design, and leaking well plugs come to mind), which would be the only reason to change it out, though I'd go with a 67 Qjet that corrects those items.
Old February 17th, 2014 | 08:42 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Take a look at the new Street Demon, get it in 750 cfm. It is a all new casting, improved version of the Thermoquad.
Old February 17th, 2014 | 05:28 PM

the Ebrock Performer carbs are on the back burner for now, droped the QJet with Mark at "Carbs Only" for a rebuild. Its the original carb and has 66K miles so the two 1406's will be tinkered on at a later date.
Old February 17th, 2014 | 05:36 PM
Hookers under Hood

Hey danoldsman sorry I figured your setup was similar to my 76 350, I really like my ebrock 1406 carb no problems with it. I hope you can get yours hooked up sometime in the future.
Old February 17th, 2014 | 05:37 PM

Good choice on getting the Qjet rebuilt. I know it's a pain paying for the rebuild but I also think you'll find everything works better using the original carb; Switch-pitch, throttle, kick-down and the install.