General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

E-Brake Cable Installation with Brakes in Place?

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2021, 10:32 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

E-Brake Cable Installation with Brakes in Place?

Is it possible to install the e-brake cables with the rear drum springs already in place? I just spent an hour trying to get it, and I cannot get the spring pulled back far enough on the cable to slot it in to the j-hook...assuming that's how it goes. Any tips for how to install these?
Old June 13th, 2021, 11:18 AM

The rear cables are in, the front cable is in, you're struggling with the long intermediate cable that goes in the equalizer and the 3 hooks?
Old June 13th, 2021, 11:29 AM

Jimmy if what I said is what you're dealing with, and assuming all the parts are right...connect the intermediate cable at the rear connectors first. Then hook it in the big hook. Pull it over to the equalizer and get that on with at least one nut. Then do the 2 small hooks. Finally, tighten the equalizer "al dente". It can be hard to install alone.
Old June 13th, 2021, 11:45 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by mrolds69
...tighten the equalizer "al dente".
Like a spaghetti noodle?
Old June 13th, 2021, 12:04 PM

That's right, I'm hungry!
Old June 13th, 2021, 12:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
Is it possible to install the e-brake cables with the rear drum springs already in place? I just spent an hour trying to get it, and I cannot get the spring pulled back far enough on the cable to slot it in to the j-hook...assuming that's how it goes. Any tips for how to install these?
I'm not sure I'm following here. Are you trying to get the intermediate cable into the hooks on the underside of the floorpan, or are you trying to get the rear cables hooked into the actuator arms under the rear brake shoes?

Assuming the latter, undo the retraction spring and retainer spring on the rearmost pad. That takes less time than writing this post. Done.
Old June 13th, 2021, 01:17 PM
Running On Empty

I'm not completely following what the issue is. Is this what you're attempting to negotiate?

Old June 13th, 2021, 05:41 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'm not completely following what the issue is. Is this what you're attempting to negotiate?

https://youtu.be/p3nJztnLREE
Yes, but that’s straight forward with all the brake parts removed for easy access.
Old June 13th, 2021, 06:10 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
Yes, but that’s straight forward with all the brake parts removed for easy access.
OK I wasn't certain if that was what you were referring to. You'll need to remove the retraction spring/retainer as Joe indicated - not really all that difficult.
Old June 14th, 2021, 05:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
OK I wasn't certain if that was what you were referring to. You'll need to remove the retraction spring/retainer as Joe indicated - not really all that difficult.
See Post #6. You only have to remove the rearmost shoe. All kidding aside, we've spent more time talking about this than it takes to do it.
Old June 14th, 2021, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
Jimmy if what I said is what you're dealing with, and assuming all the parts are right...connect the intermediate cable at the rear connectors first. Then hook it in the big hook. Pull it over to the equalizer and get that on with at least one nut. Then do the 2 small hooks. Finally, tighten the equalizer "al dente". It can be hard to install alone.
Tighten it to "chewy"?