General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Dual Gate Shifter

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Dual Gate Shifter

Hey guys, once again I am little stuck and need help. I am trying to install the dual gate. Does anybody have a picture of the transmission and how brackets look installed? I order this thing from OPGI. I hope I order the right kit for conversion. Thanks.

Old February 12th, 2014, 04:09 PM

The black bracket sits in the groove along the edge of the trans pan and is bolted on using 3-4 of the trans pan bolts.

The silver bracket attaches to the selector lever on the side of the transmission using the small rectangular hole. The holes on the flange that's bent downward in the picture are where the backdrive linkage attaches (the linkage goes up to the steering column to move the collar for the Park/Lock feature and to activate the Neutral Safety switch).

The stud looking thing attaches to the silver bracket, with the threaded end in the long rectangular slot. The other end is where the cable end attaches, and the cotter pin holds the cable in place.

The U shape clips hold the cable in the brackets: one on the shifter and one on the U shaped channel in the right side of the black bracket in the picture.

I really have no idea what those sheet metal screws are for.

Here's an old thread with a diagram that may help:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-switches.html

These are the best pictures I could find in a hurry.

autotranslinkage.jpg

Forgive the Chevy pics but it's the same principle:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...need-help.html
Old February 12th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Thank you for taking the time to post pics. and explain everything. I really appreciate this. I looked for old threads but with no success. The search engine can act weird sometimes. It spits out stuff totally irrelevant to the searched topic. I think that's why there is so many repetead questions.

On a diff. Subject it took me 10 minutes to type this in the damn iPhone with all the corrections and crap.
Old February 12th, 2014, 04:34 PM

I just went through this yesterday. The rear bolt hole of the bracket ( by the u shaped cable holder) goes in the second transmission pan bolt from the rear of the transmission. Is your car originally a floor shift car? If not it is very important that you get this part of the cable connected and in place before bolting down the shifter. I had a lot of trial and error test fitting with mine. Good luck.
Old February 12th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Beer Connoisseur

No it's originally a column shift. Thank you for the tip. After reading all older threads about installing the shifter in a correct location, I though it was easier to do what you did. Install the cable then the shifter instead of measuring and trying to locate factory markings.

Thanks
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Thank you for taking the time to post pics. and explain everything. I really appreciate this. I looked for old threads but with no success. The search engine can act weird sometimes. It spits out stuff totally irrelevant to the searched topic. I think that's why there is so many repetead questions.

On a diff. Subject it took me 10 minutes to type this in the damn iPhone with all the corrections and crap.
I actually found those links using a general Google search and not searching this particular site. Weird how that works better.

Yeah, that dang auto-incorrect is frustrating.
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:56 AM

This kit is needed to convert to column shifter to HDG?
Thansk
Old March 25th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Yes, you will need this kit and dual gate shifter cable……and of course the Dual gate shifter.
Follow the instructions mentioned in this thread, I did it just like Sampson, install the bracket and the cable then shifter. It took me about 3-4 hours to install and adjust the shifter so it can function correctly (with couple of beer breaks). If you need some pics. let me know.
Old March 25th, 2014, 09:22 AM

Too much trouble for the kit supplier to include a clue sheet such as the above print?
Old March 25th, 2014, 09:32 AM
72 Olds CS

I thought the 70 had the NSS on the shifter, have you bypassed that or using something else ?
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I thought the 70 had the NSS on the shifter, have you bypassed that or using something else ?
You can use the colum shift nss.
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Octania
Too much trouble for the kit supplier to include a clue sheet such as the above print?
The sheet that comes with the kit is no help at all.

I used a column shift NSS, it took a little massaging on the bracket but everything works and I can see the gear selection on the speedo.
Old March 25th, 2014, 01:58 PM

Yes, you will need this kit and dual gate shifter cable……and of course the Dual gate shifter.
Follow the instructions mentioned in this thread, I did it just like Sampson, install the bracket and the cable then shifter. It took me about 3-4 hours to install and adjust the shifter so it can function correctly (with couple of beer breaks). If you need some pics. let me know.

Thanks for the help. Im excited to do it but I still have to acquire a few things. I need the cable, bracket, and most importantly some bucket seats.
Cheers
Old March 25th, 2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Yep, the factory Dual Gate had it on the rear of the shifter, but as others have posted you can use the backdrive linkage to activate the column switch and all is well.
Old March 25th, 2014, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sampson
I just went through this yesterday. The rear bolt hole of the bracket ( by the u shaped cable holder) goes in the second transmission pan bolt from the rear of the transmission. Is your car originally a floor shift car? If not it is very important that you get this part of the cable connected and in place before bolting down the shifter. I had a lot of trial and error test fitting with mine. Good luck.
x2, a lot of trial and error. Sometimes you get D and 2 but no 1 or you get 2 and 1 but no D. Make sure you get the shifter cable that is made for a dual gate. Its a different size from a regular cable. I had to grind the slot where the cable connects to the pin to the selector bracket. Just be patient when you do the adjustments.
Old March 27th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Here is some pictures of the Dual Gate bracket on the tranny. They are not perfect, it's kind of hard to take a good picture when the car is on jack stands. I hope this helps.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old March 27th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Beer Connoisseur

You will notice in the pictures that cable is mounted all the way towards the front of the car in the slot on the bracket. After doing a little research I realized this is not for Oldsmobiles(Chevy, Pontiac maybe). Even after installing the cable all the way in the front it still wouldn't go in the Park. It needed another 1/4" slot towards the front of the car, fixed this by drilling another hole in the shifter about 1/4" back and mounting the cable there. It works fine now. I will post a picture of that when I get home.

Obviously people with original selector bracket don't have to worry about this.
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:31 AM

Here is some pictures of the Dual Gate bracket on the tranny. They are not perfect, it's kind of hard to take a good picture when the car is on jack stands. I hope this helps.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Is this the same bracket kit?

http://www.opgi.com/gto/1968/drivetr...fters/G221527/

I was curious and I looked under 68 GTO on OPGI because that's what my Shifter is and it appears to be 15 dollars cheaper than the Olds kit. Also the pictures are perfect, thanks!
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:45 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I am not sure but it looks exactly the same to me.
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:58 AM

I am not sure but it looks exactly the same to me.

Well Ill probably find out the hard way. Thanks haha