General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Dual Gate Shifter

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2010, 04:17 PM

Dual Gate Shifter

I just purchased a Dual Gate shifter that was used but in great condition. Upon inspecting it there is a little pivot underneath the top plate that looks like a spring goes to the notched tab on it yet I can't tell where the other end of the spring would go. Maybe I'm completely off base and nothing goes there but the question still is what does this thing do? It will rotate about 270 degrees on it's mounting pin and at a certain point a little tab pops out into the 2nd or 3rd gear position on the manual side of the shifter. It looks like it's meant to be hit by the shifter arm as you move it into 2nd or 3rd but still the question, what does it do? It's the little tab in the center of these pics. In the last pic I have the notched tab facing the camera. Picture quality isn't the best, sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dual Gate 001.jpg (138.9 KB, 133 views)
Dual Gate 002.jpg (149.5 KB, 99 views)
Dual Gate 003.jpg (147.6 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by TripDeuces; July 9th, 2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old July 9th, 2010, 10:01 PM

I cant tell for sure from the pics but are you referring to the plate that covers the his side of the shifter?
Old July 10th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Registered

It does sound like the something for the plate that locks out the "His" or manual shifting side?
Is there a chrome plate with a little finger tab on it that slides forward and to the right to access the manual side?
Have a pic of the top of the shifter?

Check this one out on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-72...s#ht_730wt_958
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:50 AM

No I'm not referring to the slide plate that covers the manual side of the shifter. What I'm talking about is underneath that slide plate when it's in the manual position. It's a little swivel that's attached underneath the top plate. In your pics you can see the rivet that holds it in place to the right of the slide plate. I also noticed there is a rod/spring? attached to it that I don't have. I think the other attachment point is forward of it. I little piece of the top plate that's been punched through and formed into a 'J' shaped tab. Being a rod attached at that point wouldn't make sense because there's no give so maybe I'm looking at the long end of a spring in those pics.
Question still remains: What the heck does it do? It will rotate 180 degrees and when the two tabs are in closest proximity a small piece of this swivel sticks out into the track that the shifter arm rides in. I'm assuming that the shifter arm is meant to hit this in 3rd gear but for what reason escapes my bourbon addled brain. Reminds me of the old Star Trek episode where the refer to dunsel. Dunsel = a part that serves no useful purpose.
Someone has to know what this thing does, please.
Old July 10th, 2010, 07:59 AM

Here is a pic from one i restored. That spring on the right , is it connected to the piece you are referring to?

P1040388.jpg

I have some other pics in this album

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...lgate/?start=0
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:23 AM

No it's the piece right below the finger tab for the slide plate in that picture. You can see the metal rod attached to it that also attaches up front on that 'J' hook. So obviously it's a rod rather then a spring. Being held in that position it pops out a little tab right at the 2nd gear detent but for what purpose? The rod attached to it is being held under tension by the tab that is bent down about a third of the way back on the rod which you can also see in that picture.
Nice restoration btw, wish the guy I bought this from was as diligent. I'm tempted to take it apart and do it over again myself. I think he put the paint on with a roller while wearing dark glasses.
Old July 10th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Registered

Weird, got me.

I could go tear the Dual Gate out of my GTO to figure it out?

If it was an early Poncho type I'd guess it was something for the key linkage that locks the manual side plate in the closed position for when the kid borrows the car.
Like you can't shift and tear it up just as well with the "hers" side.
Old July 10th, 2010, 04:47 PM

I am pretty sure that would be the piece lines you up in each of the slots so that you can stop in the proper place. Id have to take my top plate off my console but am pretty sure without that piece you want be guaranteed to stop at each gear.
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Thanks all. From looking at the pictures submitted I've figured out how this thing works. I fabricated a piece of spring steel to go in there and works fine now. Still not completely sure what it's purpose is but regardless I have it back together as the factory intended. Working with spring steel was not the best time, stuff is tough to work with.

George
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM

Looks like there was some grinding done to that,but not sure why. The piece that you are talking about positively stops the shifter,when moving it forward.It will stop,then you rest off the handle,& it will reset itself to do it again to the next gear. When using the right side of that shifter,you want to push the handle slightly to the right,as you push it forward,to make sure it functions correctly.You can really bang the gears that way,for racing purposes.Otherwise,it might not stop or engage,& you will throw it all the way up without stopping. Make sense?
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Brian it actually stops against the detent for 2nd gear (little notched piece in the plate which is square cut). The swivel piece gets pushed out of the way as you move the handle forward hard against the detent. It then rolls off the swivel to the left for the push into 3rd gear. Not a big deal really and I'm sure it will work as intended once I get it mounted. Just got all the misc. parts for installation from the Parts Place today. I'm actually pretty excited about having a Dual Gate. It's no rachet shifter but it is unique and classy looking unlike some aftermarket stuff.
I'm planning on mounting the T400 switch-pitch behind my 330ci for now. My only concern is if the torque converter will bolt to the 330ci flexplate. I know many of the T400 switch-pitch and Jetaways used the same converters so I'm hoping the mounting bolts line up.

George
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:54 PM

Dual gate Shifter installation

George,
Found this thread in a search discussing your Hurst Dual Gate shifter and have to ask if you have had it installed yet?
We are attempting to do the same thing and are having no luck.
We have a TH400, the correct cable bracket for the TH400, TH400 transmission shifter arm (that came with the TH400) and the "longer" dual gate cable. We set both the x-mission shifter arm and dual gate shifter in Neutral to set the adjustment, however we can ony get it into either Park, Reverse, Neutral & Drive, but no 1st or 2nd gear, ...or adjusted to go into 1st, 2nd, Drive & Neutral, but not Reverse or Park.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike
<><
Old September 1st, 2010, 05:27 AM

Mpelloth,
I haven't installed the shifter or tranny yet and may not this summer. I'm no expert on these set ups as this is the first Dual-Gate I've owned but from your description it sounds like the cable is incorrect or you don't have the cable locked in position on the bracket attached to the pan rail. The cable housing can't be allowed to move, only the cable inside should slide. I'm probably preaching to the choir here and I'm sorry if I am. Same thing happens on the shifter end with the cable housing locked in place with a 'U' clip much like a flexible brake line clip. As long as both ends of the cable housing are static then I would look at the bracket on the shifter arm coming out of the tranny. You'll see it has a rectangular slot that the stud that fits into the cable end goes into. There is about an inch of play there to adjust it back and forth. Will that be enough to get you in the ballpark?
I personally would adjust it in 'Park' with the little slide for the cable end all the way forward in that rectangular slot. Then see if it gives you enough travel to go into 1st and 2nd.