General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

convertible top switch

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2021, 11:03 AM

Question convertible top switch

So I had mentioned about two weeks ago that my convertible top switch went bad on me. No sound from the motor, Several stated that if you are replacing the switch it makes sense to also replace the convertible top relay. I was going through my parts trove but sadly did not find an extra switch. But I did find a relay that is associated with the top motor wiring. But the post with the same relay was posted in a question regarding a 71 Delta 88 convertible. Would this relay also been used in the 72 cutlasses? If so is it an under dash location? Based on the diagram it looks like it is mounted on the firewall. If this is not the correct one where would the correct top relay be located. I will also have to pull the rear seat so I can get to the rear speakers in the boot since they are holding down the boot restricting me getting to the motor wire terminals to clean and inspect them. This will be the third switch I have had to replace since I received the car from my Dad back in 1999. He was smart, he put a toggle switch under the dash. Regarding a toggle switch, I have a rocker switch under the dash which is temporarily running the heater A/C fan. But last year I rebuilt the head unit and all the under hood A/C components. So question is could I re wire the rocker in line to the top switch? I thought was to use the rocker as an over ride in line to operate the top, but also wire it in such a way that for correct judging be able to send power to the OEM dash switch.
Old July 24th, 2021, 11:42 AM

Had the same problem with my top switch not doing anything or sounds in my 68, found out it was only the ground! Check it out! May be an easy fix!
Old July 24th, 2021, 12:05 PM

The ground at the Top Motor? Or would there be a ground at another location? Top went up and down fine the day before then nothing the next morning.
Old July 26th, 2021, 04:57 PM

The picture posted above (1) is a circuit breaker for the top, power windows, antenna and seat. The relay is the thingy that clicks inside the left door jamb when the key is turned on.
Old July 26th, 2021, 09:17 PM

The ground just above the pump.
Old July 26th, 2021, 09:27 PM

Thanks Yellowstatue !
Since the relay behind the left side kick panel is for the top and power windows. Then it is fine since my power windows are working fine!