General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Confused on 65 cutlass steering column internals

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2021, 03:12 PM

Confused on 65 cutlass steering column internals

I have a 65 that was originally going to be a parts car. But I decided to get it going for a fun beater. When I got it there was a floor shifter between the seats and the shift arm removed from the column. Fast forward a year when I finally got to tinkering with it the floor shift was not attached in any way, it looks like a small hole was cut in the floor but no idea if its enough hole to run cables? So I decided better to go back to column shift. I grabbed a shift arm off a 68 impala at the junk yard because it was the only things remotely close I could find in age. Pulled the steering wheel, turn signal assembly, and the collar that the shift arm goes into. I wrongly assumed the shift lever had a pin on the end so I ground the impala shifter to fit where I thought it went. Didn't seem correct. So I pulled apart the steering column on my other 65 to see what was missing. How it should really be assembled/function. I think the biggest concern is the part that requires the shifter arm to be pulled the shift into part. Would hate to accidentally shift into part while moving. As it is the shifter is pretty much floppy. I assume the lower linkage between the column and the transmission will help with that some. Does anyone know what if any parts I'm missing? The "working" car is a post car the other is a holiday if that makes a difference.

The part on the left is from the car I'm trying to get the shifter to work. The threads that attach the turn signal mechanism are integrated in the collar. The part on the right has a separate plate with stops for the shifter.

Left is the part I am trying to make work. It appears the pocket under the shifter where there is a spring on the part on the right side is different. Less material in the housing or missing a piece?

Left is the turn signal assembly from the "working" car. All plastic. If memory serves me it was pulled from a different olds about 22 years ago. No idea what make and model. Right is die cast and plastic but has butt connectors so could be anything.

Black steering wheel is from the "working" car blue is from the car I am trying to figure out. I am guessing the plastic piece here and the different turn signal assembly is because the black one is cancelling turn signals and the other is not?