General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Comfortron crazy

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Comfortron crazy

Hi everyone. I've been an Olds nut for many years but just found this website. I love it!!!
I have a 68 Delta Custom 2 and 4 door. The 2 door is just sitting in storage for now. It is a rust free Arizona car that I hope to restore one day. The 4 door is a 56,000 mile car with a 455-4v. It runs great, but the climate control does not work right. As stated in the title, it has Comfortron. I need to diagnose all the probelms the system has, but would love to get one of those factory diagnostic tools. I had a chance to get one at the 100th anniversary in Lansing, but did not get it. Man that was dumb. I am curious if anybody has one of these tools to sell. I am a Technician for Infiniti and do know how to work on cars, but would like to make it easy by plugging in this tester. Thanks!
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Wecome to CO the best Olds site in the land

Good to have you on board. I can't help with your needs, someone will chime in with an idea or 2 just wanted to say howdy
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Oldsdruid

A good friend retired as an Oldsmobile Zone service manager. He told me once that more than half of their zone-level service work from 1966-73 involved trying to make Comfortrons work. That was enough warning for me, to point I've passed on several nice cars because they had questionable Comfortrons.

Comfortron also changed from year to year, so that later service procedures and tools do not work with the earlier cars. You need the year-specific car service manual, the Comfortron diagnostic manual, and having the Service Guilds and Tech Bulletins makes life much easier since that's where you find the tricks and updates to make it work. The good news is that Oldsmobile Comfortron parts are fairly common and usually cheap on ebay.

I wish I could say the same for Pontiac ATC pieces. Buddy's 66 Bonneville Brougham will never be a hot or cold weather car because the piece we need to make the system work is nearly unobtainium and very expensive when found.
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO and good luck in your effort to repair the AC.
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Captain of my ship

Welcome

Good luck with the A/C issue. I don't have A/C but glad I have a convertible
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:44 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Hang in there for the A/C gurus to help ya out.