A/C Comfortron Switch Problem

Old November 26th, 2008, 12:39 AM

A/C Comfortron Switch Problem

Hi

My 1970 Toronado seems to have a problem with the A/C switch. I bought this car a while back and when I bought it the blower fan never worked so I started testing different wires to find the fault along the line. The problem was not the blower fan as I put 12V straight at it but the comfortron switch. There are, from what I can see underneath the dash, four wire coming from the top of the switch. The brown and green are on one socket and there is a blue and blue with black stripe on another socket.

That being said I put 12V at each one of the wires and heres what happened with the comfortron in off.

Brown: Nothing
Green: Nothing
Blue: Fan Low
Blue Black: Fan high.

I would also add that when the 12V was on the Blue the fan speed was low but when I turned the ignition on and moved the switch to High the fan went High.

I think the problem is that the switch is not getting 12V. I also like to add that I do not have the A/C system hooked up.

Does anybody have a wiring diagram or know what color wires do what? Or anybody had this problem before?

I just want to get my car on the road and as requirement the switch must work.

Thanks
Old November 26th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Oldsdruid

Comfortron is a different animal. I expect your problem is either in the master vacuum switch or in the blower range relay part of the power servo. Both affect blower operation, and if either is not functioning a Comfortron is simply not going to work well. They're located underhood on the evaporator case.

You really need a 1970 chassis service manual to troubleshoot this thing. Comfortron changed from year to year in their efforts to get it reliable. I have a good friend who retired as an Olds Zone Service manager, and he told me once that more than half their Zone level service work from 1966-73 involved trying to make Comfortrons work. I have passed on several nice cars because they were Comfortron cars.

Hay- at least Olds Comfortron stuff is fairly easy to come by; it's on ebay all the time. Try finding the stuff for Pontiac version.
Old November 27th, 2008, 10:34 PM
2 '66 98's

Hi, The Comfortron system is somewhat complicated but can be managed with a general knowledge of how it functions and systematic tracing of the components. I have written an article for troubleshooting the 1966 98 system which is slightly different than the 1966 Toro system. I would guess that the 1970 system has further changes. The chassis manual is some help but may not show wire colors. Start at the master switch, looking for 12v in and out. The out side also should power the compressor clutch and be a source for the dash switch to control the hi/low speed relay. Running the fan by applying power to the wires at the control panel seems to indicate the power servo is working, at least at one position. Take your time and follow the wires from one component to the next. I'll be here to try to help with further questions. Good luck Bruce
Old November 28th, 2008, 12:50 AM

Thanks for the Info people.

Keep checking different wires then see if I get anywhere.
Old November 28th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Oldsdruid

Matt-

PM me your mailing address and I'll photocopy the 19-page 1970 Toronado Comfortron section for you. These systems are complicated enough that hit-and-miss troubleshooting won't help much, and the vacuum and electrical circuits are intertwined so that you HAVE to check both.

Put it this way- one of the Dealer Essential Service Tools was the Comfortron tester.

One other quick thing to check- Comfortron has a vacuum temperature switch on the heater hot water valve that will prevent system (and therefore blower) operation until coolant temperature is 120 degrees or so. If car has had the hot water valve replaced with the wrong one, or if vacuum lines to it are disconnected, the blower will not operate. The correct valve will have a female threaded nipple on the valve body. Look for a matching switch with a PURPLE and a YELLOW stripe vacuum hose going to it. It's at the passenger rear corner of the engine.

When you say A/C is not hooked up, do you mean the compressor wiring is unplugged, the refrigerant circuit is opened, or you've unplugged vacuum hoses and electrical wiring?
Old November 28th, 2008, 10:28 AM
2 '66 98's

Rocketraider - Do you know when the major change was made to this system?? I have a training book for a system quite different from mine but it does not have any print date or reference to years. The dash control has a vent position added and the power servo was replaced by a "programer". The blower fan runs on slow speed with the key on and the control in off position. It also does not have the vacuum controlled master switch.
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Oldsdruid

1971 was the year they went to the programmer-type control with VENT position, in response to customer complaints about the compressor running full-time. I've seen plenty of early ones with a switch installed in the compressor clutch circuit to shut it off when not wanted.

I thought Tempmatic was a great improvement over Comfortron, since it gave the driver control over where he wanted the airflow to go and at what blower speed, while still automatically controlling in-car temperature. The temperature programmer is pretty much identical to the 71-73 Comfortron.

But then I never saw any problem with using the blower and temperature levers on the manual airconditioning system to set temperature where you were comfortable.
Old May 11th, 2012, 11:48 AM

Comfortron issues -1970 Olds 98 Convertible

First I haven't figured out how to put up a new post... so, here is my problem. I have had my Olds checked out and all was good power wise until it go to the control head-which is where it stopped thereby making my Heater/AC/Blower system totally non functional. I'm wondering if the control head unit can be repaired, or just how much trouble it would be to convert the system to a manual unit?? Suggestions appreciated.