General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Column shifter with buckets

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2010, 07:41 AM

Column shifter with buckets

Just wondering how oddball of a combo it is to have a column shift with factory buckets (A51)? Was it not always a console shifter if you had buckets unless ordered otherwise?

Still debating on switching from my blown TH350 to a M20... mine is like above with the column/buckets, and thought it might give ppl to chat about at car shows or something. But if it is not uncommon... then it does not really matter. My TH350 is blown anyway, and have not confirmed if the original trans yet or not.
Old December 14th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by oldzy
Just wondering how oddball of a combo it is to have a column shift with factory buckets (A51)? Was it not always a console shifter if you had buckets unless ordered otherwise?
If you ordered the A51 buckets seats it didn't include the D55 floor console unless you ordered one too. The option list just says that you have to order the buckets to get the console, it's really hard to make the console fit with a bench seat.
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

If you ordered the automatic trans option, you got a column shifter, regardless of whether you had bench or bucket seats. The console and floor shifter was an extra cost option.
Old December 14th, 2010, 12:29 PM
bil

I have had several 65s with the bucket seat/column shift setup.It actually isn't too bad,opens up the front seat area. ---bil
Old December 14th, 2010, 01:52 PM

i sure didn't know that. i have never seen one to think about it being possible.
Old December 14th, 2010, 01:59 PM

And here I always thought column shift cars automatically got bench seats, since most if not all the pics I have seen so far are column/bench and console/buckets.

Now I know through the grapevine that this car I have now was opted for the column with buckets specifically b/c that it what the good doctor wanted. Yes, our original family doctor, RIP. I never knew him, only his son, who is my current family doctor. Since I have no kids 'yet' (LOL)... my plan was to restore it, drive it of course, then possibly give it to either my current doc (or his kids) when I get older. Will perhaps give them memories of their grandfather/his father.

My only dilemma is thinking more about myself, and possibly putting in a 4-spd M20 or 5-spd b/c the auto is boring, or leaving as original thinking to the future.
Old December 14th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Olds Nut

Wink

Originally Posted by oldzy

Still debating on switching from my blown TH350 to a M20... mine is like above with the column/buckets, and thought it might give ppl to chat about at car shows or something. But if it is not uncommon... then it does not really matter. My TH350 is blown anyway, and have not confirmed if the original trans yet or not.
I have a all original 70 cutlass sx with bucket seats and colomn shift from factory. As per oldsmobile literature the Cutlass Supreme came standard with bucket seats and Cutlass S came standard w/ standard bench... The bench seat with arm rest (NOTCHED) was special ordered, but you still had to order or check the option sheet to get the console.
Old December 14th, 2010, 07:14 PM
InfoJunkie

The vert in my avatar came with buckets and column shift. It was quite common in the late 60's GM cars by what I've seen.