General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Brass Fuel Tank?

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2012, 09:20 PM

Brass Fuel Tank?

I am looking to make a custom fuel tank. Not for my cutlass but actually for a 62 Volkswagen Beetle turned Dune Buggy. I just inherited it and it's kind of a disaster! (I know, Oldsmobile forum - consider it a compliment!)

Has anyone ever soldered together a brass fuel tank? The dimensions are pretty boxlike so I don't think it would give me too much trouble. I guess I'd use standard plumbers solder and "C260" sheet brass. Does anyone know if today's cruddy E10 gasoline quickly attacks/corrodes brass and/or plumbing solder? If not, would the brass or solder release any unwanted chemicals into the gas (such as flux residue)?

I know, crazy, but I'm just trying to figure out what to do with this thing! The hole for the filler neck is already cut in the fiberglass and I guess the tank was custom made way back when (steel). It had 35 year old gas in it which turned it into the titanic (the way it looks nowadays). The car was buried in my grandparent's garage since before I was born...

Thanks!!!

EDIT: Sorry - am I not supposed to post here? Just saw the sticky. Will note in future - Also I just noticed the non-olds section. I'm really messing everything up today...

Last edited by smcurro; October 6th, 2012 at 09:38 PM.