General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Best place to buy parts

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2020, 08:24 PM

Best place to buy parts

Hi

where do you like to buy your parts from just wondering who you like best and has good pricing and quality parts
parts place
opgi
olds parts
classic olds
Old April 27th, 2020, 08:44 PM

Fusick's.
Old April 28th, 2020, 12:29 AM
same but different

For tune up/engine things and suspension I use a local part store.
For interior and exterior trim things and specific olds stuff its usually Fusicks the parts place or inline tube, some times ebay, or our classified section here at this site.

Old April 28th, 2020, 05:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

What parts, exactly?

While Fusick does a lot for the Olds hobby, you have to be a little careful. For example, the motor mounts they sell are the same Chineseium Anchor mounts (shipped in the Anchor boxes, even) that RockAuto sells for $4 apiece, but Fusick charges nearly ten times that much. In other cases, they don't list applications for parts they carry when those parts fit cars other than 64-72 A-bodies. Of course, this applies to most vendors. Nearly every catalog you'll ever look at gets Olds water pump applications wrong. Same for motor mounts. In other cases, most of the repro vendors sell the same imported parts that are made in the same overseas factories, but the prices are all over the map. Be an informed buyer and do NOT assume that the listing in any catalog is correct. And the further you get from an Olds specialty vendor (like Summit or Jegs) the greater the odds that the listing will be wrong.

Trust but verify.

Also, educate yourself in what parts are shared with more common vehicles (ie, Chevies). For example, no one (including Fusick) lists much for my 67 Delta or 62 F-85, but I've purchased arm rest pads and other interior parts that are common from places like Hubbard's Impala Parts. They even had the correct green (for my 62) and turquoise (for my 67) pads. HIP also had the correct bucket seat mounting brackets and package shelf for my Delta. Personally, I find the challenge of hunting parts like that to be part of the fun.
Old April 28th, 2020, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by MJMascioli
where do you like to buy your parts from just wondering who you like best and has good pricing and quality parts
There is no one place, two places, or even 10 places. As noted, Fusick is good, but they are very pricey. The do have parts that no one else does, so you're stuck buying there if they're the only one who has what you need.

The most important thing to keep in mind, though, is to separate parts from vendors. There are only a few makers of parts for old cars, but there are many vendors. A good example is rubber weatherstripping for old cars. It's made by only two or three companies, but it's sold by everyone. Even Fusick just resells Metro Moulded Parts products. But the prices charged by vendors can vary by a factor of two or more. An example is the trunk lid rubber weatherstrip which I needed for my (now sold) '67 Delta 88. Metro Moulded makes it, their part number is TK 46-18. Their website price is $23.80. The exact same thing, including the same part number, was $23.29 at Autozone, $11.97 at Rockauto, and $10.55 at Carparts.com. I bought it from Rockauto.

Another, perfect example is a fuel tank sending unit for my '78 Toronado. Only one company makes it, Spectra Premium in Canada, part number FG110B. When I researched prices for the exact same part at different vendors, here's what I found.

O'Reilly: $90.99
Autozone: $59.99 (yes, that's right, the exact same part is $30 cheaper at the auto parts store across the street)
NAPA: $85.89
Rockauto: $51.79
Amazon: $59.51

I ended up buying from Amazon because I'm a Prime member, so shipping is "free," whereas it was not with Rockauto, and I had to pay sales tax at Autozone. But I certainly would have been a fool to go straight to O'Reilly or NAPA without doing any research.

So, again, the point is, don't become wedded to one vendor. They all sell the same part, and a Wagner brake shoe is a Wagner brake shoe no matter who sells it. Do your research. Determine which vendors are selling the part you want, and buy from whomever is cheapest. You can save yourself A LOT of money.

Last edited by jaunty75; April 28th, 2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old April 28th, 2020, 10:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I ended up buying from Amazon because I'm a Prime member, so shipping is "free," whereas it was not with Rockauto, and I had to pay sales tax at Autozone.
You paid sales tax with Amazon also, but your point is valid. I always check RA, Amazon, AutoZone, Adavance, and NAPA before I buy anything. I find that about half the time, parts from RA are cheaper than Amazon, even with shipping costs (hint: you're still paying for shipping from Amazon, it's just baked into their prices). Sometimes the two day delivery from Amazon is worth the extra cost.
Old April 28th, 2020, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You paid sales tax with Amazon also
Actually, while true now, I didn't at the time. I bought the sending unit three years ago, and Amazon wasn't yet collecting sales tax in my state. They are now, and I would have to pay it if I bought it today.
Old April 28th, 2020, 10:34 AM

I have used Ames Performance " The Pontiac people" for my 64 and 67 builds. I was not looking to restore these cars back to original and on the latest 64 F-85 project I bought many items from them. Same fit from 64-65 Tempest, Lemans. GTO's. I found these parts were less $$$ that's equivalent to my Olds.The last purchase was headliner, interior fasteners, sun visors, dome light, rear view mirror, door sill plates etc.All of that saved me some $$$. The headliner and sun visor cloth material is NOT the same style...Never had an issue with service or delivery for many years.
Old April 28th, 2020, 02:43 PM

Very good post, lots of good information. Nothing worse than getting burned on a purchase. Good info on sourcing to Chevy or Pontiac venders to get project completed.
Old April 28th, 2020, 03:34 PM

Sorry, to be clear on my above post the cloth material used for 64-65 GTO is not the same design of material for Cutlass. May matter to some...
Old April 28th, 2020, 11:12 PM

Ditto on what Joe said about engine mounts, water pumps and rear transmission mounts too. Definitely shop around and compare prices, my favorite example are the boxed lower control arms that cost 2 - 3 times more than the same ones found at Rock Auto, and I believe they're all made by Goodmark. It's a good problem to have though with so many parts sources available to the Olds community. You just need to be patient with the shipping times.

Last edited by oldsonharmont; April 28th, 2020 at 11:14 PM.
Old April 29th, 2020, 11:26 AM

The Right Stuff Detailing has prebent tubing and brake parts, and complete brake kits. Plus, they will custom bend oversize fuel lines if your motor is higher output. Much better choice than Inline boob sending the wrong parts over and over.
Old April 29th, 2020, 03:10 PM

Add Tamrazs Classic Auto to the list of parts sources for consideration. They're local to me and I've always received good parts - family-owned and in business for over 35 years.

I've used Eckler's Chevelle and Ground Up SS396 for common interchangeable GM parts that I can't find elsewhere or are the same part, less expensive.
Old April 29th, 2020, 04:30 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Here's another example of why we all need to do our homework:

Last year I decided to replace the door weatherstripping on my '56. Comparing the well known vendors, I bought the Fusick rear door kit for $136. By the way, Steele wanted $123.

For the front doors, I did some (not a lot) research and found Precision Auto Parts had the same stuff for $20.76 a set. "Will fit either front or rear doors". And they do.