General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

AGM battery or standard wet cell?

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2019, 05:32 PM

AGM battery or standard wet cell?

I have a 1956 Oldsmobile 98 sedan, is it worth it in the long run to purchase a agm battery or will a standard wet cell be adequate?
I know there will be much less draw on the battery when running due to minimal electronics compared to a modern vehicle but I also know that with a generator instead of an alternator I will not be getting any charge when idling only driving. It will be sitting in an Unheated garage for the winter.
I have a charger with maintaining capabilities. As long as I maintain over winter and recharge after starting if I’m not actively driving I should get good life out of a interstate MT-27 wet cell, right?
Old June 26th, 2019, 04:09 AM

I tried one of the Red Top Optima AGM batteries and actually sent it back. It wouldn't hold a charge. I ended up getting a standard battery at Sam's Club instead.
Old June 26th, 2019, 07:09 AM

Standard flooded batteries are perfectly fine. The maintenance free ones are also perfectly fine. If you enjoy checking acid levels or saturation then go for a standard cap model, otherwise the maintenance free ones take care of themselves. Note that most of the time the increase in price in the battery tiers at the store solely pays for more warranty. It's still the same battery, just a different sticker.

Optima batteries are not what they used to be. I would've changed to something else but I bought a fancy billet mounting plate specifically for the Optima battery and it's mounted in the trunk such that removing it requires removing the body...... Yeah, solid plan. And trunk mounting without a box brings in other considerations.
Old June 26th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

I've had an Optima in my truck for about 15 years now. The first one lasted about 8 years. On the second one since then. No issues, and no leaking battery acid to corrode the core support.
Old June 26th, 2019, 11:42 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I run Optima in all my cars, even wife's minivan. Never had an issue and never had one last less than 7 years.
The one in the Cutlass has been there at least 8-9 years now.

Last edited by 70cutty; June 26th, 2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old June 26th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Administrator

The antique auto battery type AGM batteries are ok for show cars but not great for driver type cars. I'm not particularly fond of the optima batteries and don't think they are worth the price. Call me old fashioned i like the lead acid type and have had great luck with the Walmart Everstart batteries. They seem to last around 7-9 years in my car. Granted I don't have a ridiculous amount of electronics that require a bunch of power.

Doesn't the 56 have an odd size battery, group 60?
Old June 26th, 2019, 04:37 PM

Optima batteries were the hot ticket for off-road vehicles here in the desert. I say "were" because the quality went downhill a number of years ago (6-8 years, maybe?). Lots of folks in the 4WD community started having issues with early failure (within 2-3 years), which apparently coincided with the manufacturing changing locations. I discovered that Costco quit carrying them due to the large number of returns. I still have one in the Cutlass dated 2006 and the one in the Jeep dated 2011 died just this past winter. I replaced it with an Interstate flooded battery from Costco since I don't trust the Optimas being built today.
Old June 27th, 2019, 03:37 AM

I had a 65 Dodge with a charging problem, It overcharged and since was corrected but the acid came out and ruined the battery tray. I bought a optima battery for it and loved it. I since bought another optima for the Cutlass, I think that one is over 10 years old and still fine.(The original one went with the Dodge when sold). Anyway I bought another one after the change in Manufacturing location (Mexico??) and was worried some about all the problems I heard about but that one also was great. I bought it on line for a lot less than O'Reillys, etc wanted. I recommend them still though still quite pricey.
Old June 27th, 2019, 09:26 AM

Thanks for all the input guys! I think I am going to go with the interstate mt-27 as I have a friend who gets them at cost. This is the battery that was recommended for this vehicle on their battery selection page. For hot climates. I’ll keep you guys up to date once’s she’s starting like a beauty, and I get onto the brake system. That’s when I’ll probably need some input, as I think it’s the master cylinder, but don’t have much experience with the old power brake systems. I did see that fusicks has a rebuild kit for the 1956 year.
Till next time guys!