General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

76 delta 88 fuel pump issues

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2021, 11:02 PM

76 delta 88 fuel pump issues

Went with electrical fuel pump on my 76 delta 88 it cuts out on me while driving then starts working again 30 mins later second time this month this has happened any suggestions ?
Old April 25th, 2021, 07:15 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

More input please; perhaps a picture of the installation as well. Did you use an installation kit or piece it together? What gauge wire supplies the pump and where did you tap into the electric supply? Did you use a relay and if so is it rated of sufficient amperage? Is the pump low enough to always have a head of gasoline supplying it?
Old April 25th, 2021, 08:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Since your electric fuel pump is aftermarket, we have no idea what style of pump it is, who made it, how it was installed, or how you have it wired. Without this info, it's impossible to provide useful information. It could even help to know why you installed an electric pump in the first place. Heck, your problem could be unrelated to the pump. It could be crud in the fuel tank being sucked up against the pickup sock in the tank and starving fuel flow. Once the car turns off, suction stops and the crud falls back into the tank.
Old April 25th, 2021, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 67OAI
More input please; perhaps a picture of the installation as well. Did you use an installation kit or piece it together? What gauge wire supplies the pump and where did you tap into the electric supply? Did you use a relay and if so is it rated of sufficient amperage? Is the pump low enough to always have a head of gasoline supplying it?
a shop installed it an ran it right to the fuse box under dash to a 20 amp prone the reason I went to electric is because I went thru 2 mechanical pumps in 2 years for some odd reason they did the same thing the electrical is doin now
I was told My canister could be the problem today an I also need to check the sock inside tank
Old April 25th, 2021, 06:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Keonj229
I went to electric is because I went thru 2 mechanical pumps in 2 years for some odd reason they did the same thing the electrical is doin now
So clearly the problem was never the pump.
Old April 25th, 2021, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
So clearly the problem was never the pump.
right I’m going back to Mechanical hopefully it’s one of those 2 issues
Old April 26th, 2021, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Keonj229
I was told My canister could be the problem today...
Charcoal canister?

Older fuel sending units looked like a canister but the one in your Delta 88 should have a swing arm and two fuel lines on it.
Old April 26th, 2021, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Charcoal canister?

Older fuel sending units looked like a canister but the one in your Delta 88 should have a swing arm and two fuel lines on it.
yes think it’s stopped up besides pump cut out I now can’t fuel regular at pump it spits it back up while fueling have to pump very slowly
Old April 26th, 2021, 05:16 AM
Oldsdruid

The fuel tank vents thru the charcoal canister. There's a fiberglass filter under the bottom of it that may be plugged if it hasn't been serviced in a long time. Newer ones are a mesh foam.

Canister is simple enough to remove and check that filter. If the tank isn't venting properly it can cause stalling and spitting back when you're trying to fill up.

Last edited by rocketraider; April 26th, 2021 at 05:20 AM.
Old April 26th, 2021, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
The fuel tank vents thru the charcoal canister. There's a fiberglass filter under the bottom of it that may be plugged if it hasn't been serviced in a long time. Newer ones are a mesh foam.

Canister is simple enough to remove and check that filter. If the tank isn't venting properly it can cause stalling and spitting back when you're trying to fill up.
ok thanks a lot
Old April 26th, 2021, 08:19 AM

A charcoal canister is a non-serviceable item. You can knock the dust out of the filter on the bottom but; as far as I know, the charcoal can't become saturated or clog anything.
Old April 26th, 2021, 08:22 AM

A charcoal canister is a non-serviceable item. You can knock the dust out of the filter on the bottom but; as far as I know, the charcoal can't become saturated or clog anything.
What about the lines ?
Old April 28th, 2021, 12:31 PM

GM had problems with purge valves on charcoal canisters back in '84-ish.

The charcoal would be totally saturated in gasoline. It'd degrade, break-up, and find it's way to the carb float bowl. Some canisters had replaceable purge valves, others the whole canister had to be replaced.
Old April 28th, 2021, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Schurkey
GM had problems with purge valves on charcoal canisters back in '84-ish.

The charcoal would be totally saturated in gasoline. It'd degrade, break-up, and find it's way to the carb float bowl. Some canisters had replaceable purge valves, others the whole canister had to be replaced.
i just realized mines is not hooked up I guess because of electric fuel pump but I’m gonna go back to my mechanical