General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

'76 Cutlass 350 A/C Belt Length Needed

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2016, 07:33 AM

'76 Cutlass 350 A/C Belt Length Needed

I have been using a NAPA 25-7619 A/C belt on our '76 Cutlass with 350 engine because (IIRC) it was the belt that the NAPA catalog called for. The outside circumference of this belt is 62.58", and it is simply too long. It is difficult to tighten, and now seems to "max-out" the adjustment range. If it is the least bit loose, it whips around like a flag in high wind and shrieks like a banshee when the compressor is engaged.

When I look at the belt tensioner "forensically", I can see that it has used a shorter belt at some point in the past. Rather than spend a lot of money "experimenting", I thought that I would ask the CO brain trust what size (or number) belt y'all use for your air conditioners on similar cars.

Jeff
Old September 7th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 76CutlassSalon
I have been using a NAPA 25-7619 A/C belt on our '76 Cutlass with 350 engine because (IIRC) it was the belt that the NAPA catalog called for. The outside circumference of this belt is 62.58", and it is simply too long. It is difficult to tighten, and now seems to "max-out" the adjustment range. If it is the least bit loose, it whips around like a flag in high wind and shrieks like a banshee when the compressor is engaged.

When I look at the belt tensioner "forensically", I can see that it has used a shorter belt at some point in the past. Rather than spend a lot of money "experimenting", I thought that I would ask the CO brain trust what size (or number) belt y'all use for your air conditioners on similar cars.

Jeff
Every reference I've found shows 62 5/8". If it's close, just buy the next shorter belt.
Old September 7th, 2016, 01:34 PM

Thanks, Joe.

I once changed the compressor and clutch assembly; perhaps the new clutch pulley was ever so slightly smaller than the original one. That might account for the discrepancy.

Jeff
Old September 7th, 2016, 06:38 PM
4 Barrels of Laughs

and the cheap bastiges and fargin iceholes that make the belts ever so slimmer so they ride in the pulleys deeper....
Old September 7th, 2016, 07:21 PM

quaddriver, I wondered about that from the opposite perspective: what if the newer compressor clutch pulley had a slightly wider, deeper sheave? Could be either . . .

Jeff